Help with Super Cascode Power Supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wonder if any of you gents can help me. I have a couple of circuit boards I purchased a while ago from White Noise Audio. I'm trying to configure one to give 3.3V and 5V selected by the jumpers. I have attached the supplied documentation.
In the documentation it says that each output can be set to any value from 3V - 35v dc by altering the value of two resistors. The formual given is :

Vout=6.9(R7 + R8)/R8 or Vout=6.9(R10+R11)/R11

Now i'm not a mathematical genious but even I know that Vout can not drop below 6.9V given the above formual. Looking at the schematic 6.9V is the value of RF1 and RF2, so what I thought, would happen if I changed this to 2.5V and used the above formula to derive the values for R8 and R9 (6K5 and 3K3). Using a 12V 0.5A transformer the output was 9V - not what I was hoping for.
Can anyone help in configuring this circuit to output the desired voltages. My knowledge of electronics won't streach to this. I think possibly I might have to change Z1 and Z2 as well.

Attachments

• SCPSU1.jpg
    SCPSU1.jpg
    744.7 KB · Views: 277
  • SCPSU2.jpg
    SCPSU2.jpg
    577.5 KB · Views: 245
  • SCPSU3.jpg
    SCPSU3.jpg
    780.5 KB · Views: 211
  • SCPSU4.jpg
    SCPSU4.jpg
    739.9 KB · Views: 194
  • SCPSU5.jpg
    SCPSU5.jpg
    636.8 KB · Views: 177
  • SCPSU6.jpg
    SCPSU6.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 56
  • SCPSU7.jpg
    SCPSU7.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 159
  • SCPSU8.jpg
    SCPSU8.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
5mA to tr5 base seems a bit mean.
The D44 range have fairly low gain and may require more than the 5mA provided since some of this must go the alternative route through tr7 and the opamp.

You could probably use a LED instead of a Zener as the voltage raiser.

BUT do go and read Walt Jung and Janneman on self starting and getting the opamp to work consistently.
Can your opamp work with a voltage way down there?

The tracking pre-reg only applies ~2V of Vce to tr5. Since you are at very low voltage on the output what about raising the pre-reg to say 4V above the output voltage and then modifying the PCB slightly to use the pre-reg output to power the opamp?

Anyone see problem/s with those ideas?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.