rockford fosgate t2000-1bd blown power supply mosfets - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2011, 07:03 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default rockford fosgate t2000-1bd blown power supply mosfets

i'm an average joe and i'm trying to repair my 1st amp.i found 2 of the power supply mosfets blown,they smoked as soon as i hooked up the ground and +12v leads to the amp,the remote turn on lead was not even hooked up.i bought the amp broke,so i do not know the history of the amp.any ideas what else should i replace,and what could've caused this?
Old 4th October 2011, 05:19 AM   #2
luka is offline luka  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to luka
well, start with basic, take DVM and measure short between 12v and ground. By now you already know you have one... then remove power supply fets (I think once one goes, they all go, that's why you would need to remove all of them). Once you do that, check for short again. if still there, you need to find the components that is making it (not by applying power to amp).

And if all this is to cmplicated already, your best bet is get send amp to get it fixed, and probably not to friend of a friend that knows,.... unless he knows what he is doing

Amp goes up in smoke, well it can go for many reasons, one of them is vibration (people put amps on boxes, which flex with amp, and that breakes things inside of amp)
Old 4th October 2011, 12:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

when i got the amp,i found 6 ohms between the +b and ground leads.i had no idea that all the fets were bad if only one smoked so i applied 12v with a 10amp fuse inline,thats when i noticed 1 fet(Q6) smoking.i imediately removed the voltage and cut the pins on the smoking component,checked the resistance again at +b and ground again and found 20 ohms ,so i cut the pins on the fet(Q7) next to the smokin one and then the resistance disappeared.
Old 4th October 2011, 07:59 PM   #4
luka is offline luka  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to luka
really? now I don't really know which two fets are those, what they do in circuit, but hell, if you are trying it like that, did you power it now?

apart from taking scope and/or dvm you won't be able to know if it works and what does not. Unless it will power up and play music, but that should be first time ever

Hide this!Advertise here!