Other type of transistor use for audio (amplification or power safety system)?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I scavenge an old CRT monitor, and saw some transistor which i'm thinking to reuse, so my question :
CAN I use transistor of other type (video) to use as audio or other application like power switching/regulation ? My example here is :
C5404 from Toshiba, the datasheet is as follow : http://pdf.chinaicmart.com/88888/20083794333540.pdf
This is use for high speed switching application in TV, is it possible to make it into power shutoff or soft starting transistor ? or even for audio amplification usage also no problem ?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The 2SC5404 is a line output transistor or horizontal output as sometimes called. These types were common in the days of CRT TV's , types like BU208, BU508 S2000AF BUT11 etc etc.

Generally these are not suited to linear audio amps as the main problem is that the gain is low. They are really intended to be driven either fully on or fully off. That said they are just silicon NPN devices, it's just that the properties are optimised for switching.

Small signal transistors and video output transistors are often overlooked for audio and they can be an excellent choice in some applications having low junction capacitance and good HF characteristics.

haha, yeah, just same npn and pnp, but they have specified function/special, which they do good in them. I also agree with you, if you have knowledge and some spec, it is not too difficult to find a suitable application to use it.
Leon, you have any article/tutorial about how to utilise transistor or how to fully understand the specification ? (having problem understand them) in order to do those jobs ?

hahha, yeah ! Unlike IC, transistor datasheet doesn't provide application mode circuit (well...... understandable) and the transistor gain is variable (in a range), so the first thing is that i dunno how to SET the transistor's gain in a circuit. (been longing to learn that)

I also saw some article about how to make an switching device with transistor (act like relay), but can't fully understand its operation.

Also about the operation and example of an transistor work as high speed switching (well... over current protection, etc) as a protective member (maybe more useful in audio amp)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
hahha, yeah ! Unlike IC, transistor datasheet doesn't provide application mode circuit (well...... understandable) and the transistor gain is variable (in a range), so the first thing is that i dunno how to SET the transistor's gain in a circuit. (been longing to learn that)

I also saw some article about how to make an switching device with transistor (act like relay), but can't fully understand its operation.

Also about the operation and example of an transistor work as high speed switching (well... over current protection, etc) as a protective member (maybe more useful in audio amp)

OK... so you need to do a lot of reading up :)

"How to set the transistors gain in a circuit ?" You can't and you don't...

A given transistor has a gain spread when manufactured. The best of the bunch might be say 200 and the worst 60. It's the circuit designers job to ensure that the circuit will work just as well with any gain value for that device.

As far as amplifiers go it's the value of the other components that set the gain of the finished amplifier. That little trick is done by negative feedback mostly, and that ensure all the amplifiers of a particular design all finish up with exactly the same gain irrespective of whether all the transistors have a high or low gain or any combination.

High speed switching is a subject on it's own... a transistor used as a switch (like in a TV line output stage) has to be driven correctly to minimise operation in the linear part of its characteristic. And the secret of that is in the drive waveform...

Library... books ;)

There are many books , but some of them explane it overcomplicated wich results in that some people get it wrong.Here for instance some people believe that transistors work like a switch, if you give voltage to basis than i's on and otherwise its off.
This is not true, they work like a valve, I mean mechanical valve for water.If you turn it then the waterflow is more or less.This means that you can control the amount of water wich is flowing through it.
Exactly like this also a transistor works. You can control the current wich is going through it by the voltage at the base.If you apply higher voltage to the base then it will conduct more current.
The only difference between switching and audio transistors is that audio transistors do it more linear wich means that you can control the current more precisely.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.