Paul Hynes, reliable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
About 6 weeks ago I ordered a shunt reg from Paul Hynes website.

On my first enquiry, Paul was very responsive, answering several e-mail instantly. But since I ordered and made the payment I have not heard from him. I've sent him several messages, but no response at all.

Makes me wonder if this seller is for real. At this time I wouldn't recommend anyone to do business with him.

Does anyone what going on here?

thanks,
Lex

Paul is an Excellent Engineer.

Unfortuneately he is inversely lacking in basic business skills.

I have bought numerous regulators from him over the years, all were long overdue (many many months) and only forthcoming after a rash of emails trying to get him to make good on his promises. He is a fountain of excuses.

Great product. When you can get it.

Sorry but I won't be dealing with him any more.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I bought the VCCS pcb's from Paul at the end of last year the only delay being due to the UK being under two feet of snow at the time. An email a couple of weeks ago was replied to within four days although another one has yet to be replied to. Maybe the guy is on his hols.

I've had regulators from him on several occasions without problem. He's only a small business and builds and tests all this stuff himself, maybe he's busy ? if so I'd expect some delays. If your concerned just give the guy a phone call, he's a nice chap :)

Hi Folks,

Lex, Your order has now been dealt with.

I have been on holiday theoretically this last week but have not been away from the Island.

Steve is right, I am primarily an engineer and originally set the regulator/power supply business up as a small part-time venture to help others upgrade their equipment with the solutions I use myself in my equipment. It was only initially envisaged as a part time low-level activity because I also run a design consultancy, and shortly after re-locating to the Hebrides I also became technical director of a local CIC (Community Interest Company). This is similar to a Limited Company that is owned by the local community, and the profits are used for community projects. Alongside all this I have a lass who needs day-to-day care, as she is not very well.

This last few years, the business turnover has rapidly expanded requiring a lot more time to run, and this has been a steep learning curve for me as there is only me to do everything the business requires, except for this last year where I have someone to help with some of the non technical office work on a part time basis. I resigned as director of the CIC a while back to devote more time to the business but really I need someone to work in the business with me and take some of the day-to-day workload. I have been investigating the possibilities for this over the last year or so but so far I have not been able to get this additional help in place, although I am in negotiation with others to enable this.

Extra help will also allow the build up of stock to allow rapid order turnaround instead of the long lead times for built to order products. Lead times have been a problem, as sometimes I have to drop the ball due to family issues or external events that are beyond my control. For instance, over a year ago my lass fell onto the corner of a hardwood bedside table while larking around with my daughter. She broke here ribs and I had to take over all the household duties for several months while her ribs healed. Last December the Island was virtually isolated due to freezing weather conditions that prevented the movement of supplies for manufacture and the shipping of orders. It was the middle of January before I was able to continue normal production. There have also been supply issues, where certain components that I use to achieve the regulator performance became out of stock with suppliers and on long lead times with them. This is happening more often as the Global Recession and the devastating Japanese Tsunami earlier this year, is affecting supply chains, and the distributors stocking levels. I have one of these component supply problems going on at present but I have managed to find an alternative source abroad so will be back on track with all the products that use this component within a few weeks. These events are why I have to quote lead times in working days rather than fixed times. When an event occurs that causes long delays I end up working a lot of extra time where possible during evenings and weekends to get back on track with the lead times.

Then there is the mountain of e-mail to deal with, especially technical enquiries as these can take a while to answer comprehensively. Many days are lost just trying to keep up with e-mail.

Overall most orders are completed within a reasonable time scale and most customers who have order delays are kind enough to accept that things do not always go to plan with build to order. This is just a fact of life with build to order that does not apply to stocked products, which are either in stock or out of stock.

One thing I am certain of, is that my products are well worth waiting for, as I have only had two people return product under my return is not satisfied guarantee, out of many thousands of orders since starting this business. If my products were not worthwhile there would be many, many more returns than this.

I could go on but I think you can get the picture from what I have already said. I am doing my best to find solutions for these problems but everything takes time. I can only apologise to all those who have had delays and endeavour to minimise them. I also thank those of you who have posted support.

Regards
Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.