SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

they dont look anything like auricap... they are yellow, but thats where the similarity ends. auricap have wax or potted sides in turquoise, red and black stranded leads and...auricap printed on them.

waiting for a bunch of the XO to get here, we got some in the radial and axial lead, so I will try on the SSLV as well

can you give a detail about that bunch of auricaps - can you offer 10 uF - 22 uF 200V old series without XO as they are cheaper

no not the old ones, only the 10uf XO, the old ones are cheaper because they arent made anymore and places are just getting rid of old stock while they can. shoot me a PM if you are interested, I may still be able to add to my order as I doubt its been shipped over the weekend. I think you would be pleasantly surprised.

Greetings all,
I've got an interesting problem.

I built 2 bibs for a Buf3 dual mono.

Both bibs are identical builds to produce about 500ma at 5.25 v output.
On one of the bibs, no problem, I am driving the B3 perfectly with a constant 5.25 V with no drift. Problem is with the second bib, It seems to drift about .1v constantly when driving the Buf3. I also noticed from testing the bib that when I drive about less than 300ma, no problem with the drift. I get a constant 5.25 V. When I increase the consumption to more than 300ma, the drifting starts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tried dummy load with 2 12r 5w so tesetd with 24,12 and 6r load but the 6r load has too much current so the V out on both bibs drop by half.

bib power resisters are 2 x 3.9r with bjt version

seems to start drifting at about 400 so I think I'm on the edge with the current setting resisters. I may add another to get more current to see effect.

see text has 1 red led, 27r and 1 k trimmer with rest jumpered. I can play with voltage without problem

everything well sinked so nothing gets hot.

Last edited:
drift is up and down but not stable at 5.25v like the functional bib. Also,it seems that turning the wiper does not change the V either when hooked up to buf3. I will perform more testing to try to figure this out. Since buf3 should consume about 450ma, I may be just on the threshold with those 2x3.9r power resisters. I started with 1 but that was not enough for the buf3 so I added another 3.9r and now one is perfect but the other is straying.

I'll try to post pictures later

Yeah...

For the Buffalo you will want about 550-600 mA in the BiB CCS. This is a lot easier to achieve with 4 leds. Also, make sure you have adequate sinking. I relieved some heat in my set up by using an 8 VAC transformer so there is a little less voltage drop.

V/R in the current set resistor gives you the CCS current...

Thanks Salas,

This is indeed a learning experience for me.

So I added an extra 3.9r on the failing bib and now I get a constant 5.25 V. I'll measure the voltage accross these R's and calculate but it seems that the comnsumption would fall between 2x3.9 and 3 x 3.9. The functional bib is at 2x3.9r. I had to add an extra 3.9r on the other bib to make it work properly. It seems that my current setting R's should fall somewhere between 1.3 and 1.95R.

V accross one bib .72v / 1.3 = .553
V accross other bib is .93 /1.95 = .476

If I understand this correctly, previously I had .72/1.95 = .369 which is not enough for the buf3.

Also, if the b3 consumes 450, I should be adding an extra 150 for the bib for a total of 600ma. I would have to reduce the r on both to attain 600ma given that one v reads .72 and the other reads .93

Hope I got this right

So my question is why do I get so different voltages (.72 vs .93) on identical builds?

Last edited: