SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

See if there is continuity between all the Vref series components. If there is, check if one or both Leds there are not correctly oriented. Q203 should be conducting the Iref there, make sure its healthy if all other checks pass.

I have replaced Q203 with no luck.
I traced the Vref chain back from both SENSE (-S and 0) terminals to all components and everything checks out. I made the -15 from the same schematic as the -5, and the same layout. The board should be OK.

No worries, I do worse all the time. Post a picture of your self made boards shunts at work if able.

Here's a picture. Excuse the messy boards, haven't cleaned them with flux remover yet. Also, ran out of green LEDs and had to use 1 yellow. As you can see I used a lot of layout space; I don't like components squeezed together.

I haven't listened yet, but confident that they'll "walk the talk". I'm using your HV shunt (PCB from group buy) in the tube stage and it's great compared to the linear I was using before.

Gary

Attachments

• Shunt_Regs_Post.jpg
    Shunt_Regs_Post.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 396
They look like modules, cool caps.

Hey Salas,

Last night was the best 4 hours of music listening I have had in a very long time. What I heard in the music was...amazing. It just sounded so right in every way. So many words to describe; but those who have used your design know what I am saying, and you must too, because how could you design this without knowing what music should sound like? Just brilliant.

I used to sell high-end audio in the 70's and 80's, including some very good tube equipment. I recognize "the sound" when I hear it, as all audiophiles do. We use all kinds of words to describe it, but all feel the same when listening to music that we love delivered in a way that sounds perfect to our senses. When someone who is brilliant with electronics is also an audiophile, along with a creative thought process, things like the "Salas shunt" become reality. What many companies would love to have designers create for them, you share freely with your fellow audiophiles all over the world.

There are others like you on the forum who are of the same mold, in pursuit of great sound, skilled in engineering, and giving freely to share their passion for great sound.

I've followed the DIY forum over the last few years and always amazed at how much time you have given to help people and answer questions. Thank you for sharing your talents and time to help educate me (and many others I'm sure) in achieving their music nirvana.

I tip my glass to you in the spirit of great sound and music.

Γεια!
:cheers:

Gary

Just read roger57’s enjoyable piece, which gives me an excuse to say again what a great sound I’m getting from this voltage reg on the BA-2 front end.
But I have found recently that the reg doesn’t make invisible the transformer. I had been using a ‘Noratel’ transformer with two 25V, 1A, secondary windings but I had wanted to drop the input voltage a little to reduce heat dissipation on the regulator. So I had some transformers made for me by Terry at ‘Canterbury Windings’ at 23V and 0.5A with GOSS bands and electrostatic shields. These were twice the price of the ‘Noratel’ units.
Now the heatsinks are cooler but the real difference is in the sound, which is significantly improved. The whole musical soundstage is more three dimensional with a less cluttered background. Musical images just stand out without effort with greater realism.
I can understand the many builders on this site who like to use any old transformer to get their project off the ground and I have done the same in the past. It may be because money is tight or perhaps recycling makes sense but I keep being reminded that good quality components make a big difference and no more so than in the power supply.