SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

Well from my understanding the article talks about theoretical resistance elements that can change their resistance (impedance).

Only, there are many situations in our life where we experience a varying (dynamic) resistance when we implement our purposes. In these cases, someone (something) changes dynamically his/her/its resistance so that we have the feeling that the resistance is decreased or increased.

The output parts of transistors, tubes and other current-stable components act in such a way.

All kinds of diodes and other voltage-stable components act in this way.

Some constant-current generating electronic circuits act in such a way.

Some constant-voltage generating electronic circuits act in a similar way.

But a trimmer is not such a device. It does not change it dynamically. It s a variable resistor, not a dynamic as the word is used in the article.

MKPs and long leads...

Aren't the long leads on bigger metallicized polypro caps a problem with inductance and noise pickup? I use Mundorf MKP 4.7 uF for the zobel, and it barely fits with some creative lead bending. For analog line level circuits I have been using a 100 uf Silimic II, bypassed with a 0.1 polystyrene on the other side of the board and this sounds good (adding the polystyrene really seemed to make a difference in transparency) for vref filtering
Any bigger MKP caps would have long flying leads and I would expect that to create more problems than it solves?
Not really a fan of polyester caps, are they any good for sonics? They are more compact!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I prefer a good layout with smaller components and shorter leads always. Try bypassing the Vref electrocap with 10-100n Silver Mica right on its pins under PCB. I had good luck with C0G also. See how you like it VS polysterene bypass. Some MKTs can be really good. Try Vishay etc.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Aren't the long leads on bigger metallicized polypro caps a problem with inductance and noise pickup? I use Mundorf MKP 4.7 uF for the zobel, and it barely fits with some creative lead bending. For analog line level circuits I have been using a 100 uf Silimic II, bypassed with a 0.1 polystyrene on the other side of the board and this sounds good (adding the polystyrene really seemed to make a difference in transparency) for vref filtering
Any bigger MKP caps would have long flying leads and I would expect that to create more problems than it solves?
Not really a fan of polyester caps, are they any good for sonics? They are more compact!

I prefer a good layout with smaller components and shorter leads always. Try bypassing the Vref electrocap with 10-100n Silver Mica right on its pins under PCB. I had good luck with C0G also. See how you like it VS polysterene bypass. Some MKTs can be really good. Try Vishay etc.

I bypassed lytic Vref cap with a small teflon FT-2 15nF 200V before was a big FT-3 100nV 600V. Polysterene for Vref cap bypass is also good seems working more in high treble like super tweeters the sensation of air & atmosphere is incredible but lacks a little bit of body that has the teflon so is up to the own taste the election both are superb, about silver mica is a little bit like crystal sound my opinion is the sound between the teflons & polysterenes also very good. MKP1837 10nF can be another option the sound is between teflons & silver mica.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Temperature drift

Hi,

I've built a SSLV1.1 using my own board for a BIII.
The issue i'm struggling with is some temperature drift, there is about 100mv drift downwards until it stabilizes.

I did burn in tests for 48hours at full load ( circa 700mA ) and it remains rock solid and very clean.

Problem is that if i want 5.25 V effective during normal operation it has to be adjusted for 5.35 V cold.

BIII specifies upper limit as 5.5 V so I'm within safe limits but only just.

Any suggestions on how to minimize further the temp drift ?

R1 is 3R3 and transformer is 9V Toroidy, as can be seen from picture i use 4 ref leds.

Previous try was with R1 1R5 and 3 leds....not very different results..

Attachments

• OSC.jpg
    OSC.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 301
  • board.jpg
    board.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 293
How fast does the circuit reach the final output?
And what parts are you using for the V reference?

First thoughts might be different sink arrangement for the transistors to allow them to reach cruising temperature faster (without compromising safety), lower ppm resistors and more temperature stable parts in the voltage reference

No worries!

The B-III has onboard local regs, as long as you are within the sweet spot of their operating range with the pre reg you are fine. The Tridents run great from 5.1-5.4 volts, so there is no need to worry about a little drift, and .1 V of drift with warm up is normal. Set the Salas for 5.35 cold as you have, and as long as the stable/warm V is 5.1-5.3 volts you will have optimum performance. No circuit is going to be exactly the same cold as it is warm.

Make sure you measure for AC on the Salas output to check stability, reading should be the same as shorting the two probes together. Sorry, missed your scope shot! All looks good there, clean output...

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
How fast does the circuit reach the final output?
And what parts are you using for the V reference?

First thoughts might be different sink arrangement for the transistors to allow them to reach cruising temperature faster (without compromising safety), lower ppm resistors and more temperature stable parts in the voltage reference

Thanks for the reply,

Settling time is around 5 mins, it´s probably true that the sinks used are way too big, but there will be other power supply boards bolted on.
This is the one i will be using for my all singing all dancing BIII as a PSU plugin module with power for IV and FIFO and USB 2 I2S....and TFT display.

ref parts are 50 ppm resistors and 4 green leds.

I'm just a bit concerned that the trimmer might be contributing more than it should.

Anyway my objective was to compare notes with others on the forum on my results and it seems that 100mv settling drift is considered average.

I'm quite happy with the full load output: very stable and clean so i guess that as long as i'm below 5.35 V cold start i'm very well :)