SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

One would have thought that a voltage regulator with very low noise would not worry too much about its smoothing caps. Well it isn't so. I initially used some fairly cheap but serviceable Panasonic 10,000uF TS-HA caps. Listening to the BA-2 with these in the regulator for the front end I was initially pleased with the overall clarity improvements, however, turning to some of my favourite music such Healy-Hutchinson carol piece I was struck by the lack of comfortable warmth and the rather flattend perspective of the orchestra. Could it be the caps. I had a nagging feeling I should have used my favourite Mundorf AG in the first place but how could caps this far back from the output make such a difference? Out went the 10,000 and in came the 4700uF Mundorfs. Well the difference is very significant. Flattened soundstage and I have to say somewhat flattened musical images have much more depth. Strings now can be heard with more warmth and depth positioned more clearly behind the brass for example. Could it be 10,000 to 4700uF made the dirrerence. Well possibly but I have noted the characteristic of these Panasonics before and for me they don't sound as good as the Mundorfs, which is a shame really because they are a lot cheaper.
Chris

Panasonic caps lack some bass & warmth but are good in mids & highs + very reliabable. I don't know the Mundorfs AG but it's boutique and "dressed" for audiopurposes, so us the price ;) My experience is if big caps aren't needed don't use them, more speed and less heavy sound. What about the burn-in proces, did you gave the TS-HA time for that ?

Caps are like spice to me. :2c:

Last edited:
One would have thought that a voltage regulator with very low noise would not worry too much about its smoothing caps. Well it isn't so. I initially used some fairly cheap but serviceable Panasonic 10,000uF TS-HA caps. Listening to the BA-2 with these in the regulator for the front end I was initially pleased with the overall clarity improvements, however, turning to some of my favourite music such Healy-Hutchinson carol piece I was struck by the lack of comfortable warmth and the rather flattend perspective of the orchestra. Could it be the caps. I had a nagging feeling I should have used my favourite Mundorf AG in the first place but how could caps this far back from the output make such a difference? Out went the 10,000 and in came the 4700uF Mundorfs. Well the difference is very significant. Flattened soundstage and I have to say somewhat flattened musical images have much more depth. Strings now can be heard with more warmth and depth positioned more clearly behind the brass for example. Could it be 10,000 to 4700uF made the dirrerence. Well possibly but I have noted the characteristic of these Panasonics before and for me they don't sound as good as the Mundorfs, which is a shame really because they are a lot cheaper.
Chris

Hi,
From my own cap-swapping experiments:

The 10,000uF (mundorf AGl, nichicon KG) sounded better than their corresponding 4700uF or 6800uF versions.

My favorites:
1) Mundorf AG
2) Panasonic TS-HA
3) DNM/BHC 2 pole slit foil (very smooth warm sound; many will prefer this)
4) Nichicon KG

:D

Attachments

• IMG_1732.JPG
    IMG_1732.JPG
    239.7 KB · Views: 366
Manamanam,
which Sikorels - B41550?

Anyone tried the "Super Thru" Nichicon's in comparison to the KGs, or the "Elna for Audio" cap (so called Starget?) in comparison to say, the Nichi KGs?

The "exotic" caps are interesting, particularly when you mix'n'match them in pre/power amp C-R-C filters.