SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yesterday I visited a friend who owns a Linn Akurate & compared vs an E-MU 0404 / USB (of other friend) powered with a BiB with a R-Core tx that I will make for him, the difference was so small that Linn Akurate owners told me "soto voce": if now (that I know EMU sound) I have to buy again de Linn Akurate I don't buy the Linn.

Linn Akurate price: 4.000€00
EMU 0404/USB: 300€00 + BiB pcb & parts + R-Core tx

Congratulations Nick & Mike;)

SSLV1.1 Calculator

Hello,

Some of you may have seen in the Salas Simplistic HV Shunt Reg thread that I have created a small Excel spreadsheet to make calculations of the CCS resistor and MOSFETs dissipations easier.
Well, the BiB already has an excellent build guide, but it was easy enough to modify the HV spreadsheet to make a SSLV1.1 version of the calculator.... so here it is in case it helps someone:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4Rnva0idfhAMmM1ZWM1ODgtOTczYy00M2RmLWI1NDEtYjljZTlhZDIwY2Iy

If you have any question, do not hesitate to ask. Cheers!

Fred

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hello,

Some of you may have seen in the Salas Simplistic HV Shunt Reg thread that I have created a small Excel spreadsheet to make calculations of the CCS resistor and MOSFETs dissipations easier.
Well, the BiB already has an excellent build guide, but it was easy enough to modify the HV spreadsheet to make a SSLV1.1 version of the calculator.... so here it is in case it helps someone:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4Rnva0idfhAMmM1ZWM1ODgtOTczYy00M2RmLWI1NDEtYjljZTlhZDIwY2Iy

If you have any question, do not hesitate to ask. Cheers!

Fred

OK 4th LED has been added in spreadsheet. Link above should work

Nice and thanks. I added it to post #1.

Hey guys,

:worship:

You are very welcome! (it feels good to contribute just a little after months of reading through the forum :D, but again the biggest thanks should go to Salas for sharing the great design and providing regular support, not forgetting those who spend so much time organizing the GB!)

Be sure to comment/ask/feedback so I can improve the calc in future releases !

I tried using the electrolytic option for the Zobel over the weekend (I was getting some mid-band hardness and upper frequency brightness) using some Black Gate 47uF caps.
This option with the BA-2 front end didn't work producing a somewhat muddy sound with loss of overall detail so I replaced the resistors and the WIMA caps.
The problem was solved by reversing the Zobels which I use on the loudspeaker cables so that the capacitor contact was to ground. Sounds fine now.

Back,
if your PSU is oscillating then guessing at what caps to use to stabilise it are a waste of everybodies time.

If your PSU is not oscillating then guessing at what caps to use to stabilise it are a waste of everybodies time.

The difference between these two statements is that you need to know if your PSU is oscillating. From there take appropriate action. Don't guess !!!!

Three things Andrew. First how would I know if my power supply was oscillating without any expensive equipment? Some of us use our ears to detect problems in the absence of said equipment and people are interested in these findings.
Second, my attempts at producing a better sound is not a waste of anyone's time except my own, which I am free to waste.
Third, the value of the caps is written in Salas's excellent build notes and not a guess.

Yes, but don't use the HV version. The ordinary versions will do for 15Vdc.

The current to a 5534 or 5532 is not 20nA.
The peak current is limited to ~30mA for each channel.

The CCS must be set for more than 120mA. Try 150mA for each half of the regulated PSU to supply the 4channels in the two 5532.