SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

You mean replace the Dx02A&B, 03 and 04 LEDs with diode?

Hi coolhead,
In the voltage reference area (the boxed area with "SEE TEXT"; consult appendix 1 in the guide), use a single diode (instead of an LED) along with a 50ohm or more trimpot. The diode may be placed into any of the following:
D301
D305
D306
R303
R305 (Well, you'd probably put the trimpot here.)
Jumper the unused positions.
The diode has a lower voltage drop than the LEDs, thus allowing a lower voltage reference setting.
For D302-304/ use your choice of LED.

Last edited:
Hi qusp, I am not a technical person, I don't know much about electronics. I read some where in HiFace mod topic, the clock signal is supplying to CPLD IO banks & the clock is Muxed & buffered there. The by products are MCLK and SDATA. As you said, BII will ignore MCLK but isn't SDATA is very important?

Hi alazira,
You mean replace the Dx02A&B, 03 and 04 LEDs with diode?

Thanks.

Sdata is important yes, but not so vulnerable to power supply quality as its just a pure data stream and has nothing to do with the clock, its simply clocked in via the local b2 mclk. mclk i would consider an analogue mechanism (if used) Sdata isnt and is fine to use a reasonable quality chip reg

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I've just spent a very pleasant hour listen to music with the bib reg installed powering the optivol volume control. After reading Malka07's and Kerux posts saying how things improved I can only say that I'm gobsmacked the improvements are not subtle.Thanks Salas and everyone involved with the group buy. Well pleased :D

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Does your transformer allow 45V? Sounds like much for a former 18V working reg. Check you got voltage across G,S pins on every Mosfet. 4-6V. Zero or too much means a dead one. Check your 4 wires are all in contact. Those checks are to start with.

Like I said, all was working OK. I'm driving the bib with a 15V 50VAC plitron and that works fine at about 35V AC output. I tried powering the leds with a 5V batery and those light up. All wires in contact with 680R dummy load

Haven't measured anything else. but the mosfets seem to measure 45 v on G and S. Even current resistor seems to measure 45V.

The output of a transformer can be predicted with just a few bits of the manufacturers' data and one formula.

Output DC voltage after smoothing with no load on the output is given by Vdc = [Vmains / Nominal Vmains * rated Vac of secondary * (1+transformer regulation) * sqrt(2) ] - [diodes Vdrops at near zero diode current].

For a 9.5% regulation 230:15+15Vac transformer running on 236Vac with ordinary bridge rectifier.
Expect the prediction to give
{236 / 230 * (15+15) * (1+0.095) * 1.414} - {2*0.5} ~46.7Vdc

With the correct information the application of the formula allows the model to predict the expected DC voltage. It really is that simple.

Last edited: