SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Ricardo,

In the chassis XLR connector the Cold connected to GND.

300px-XLR_pinouts.svg.png

1 chassis GND, cable shield
2 positive, hot.
3 negative, cold.

Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLR_connector

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I suspected that you use more psu caps because I see in your pic that you don't use rectifier diodes in the BiBs, are you using a MOX resistor to set the current? as you know there is a sensitive position for sound my 1st option Mills & my 2nd option Welwyn or Vishay / SFernice both vitreous enameled, a lot of better sound using them: checked lately in my Disco's 1.2V Vout & my Bib 3.3V Vout vs ceramic, MOX, Kiwame. What caps are you using for lytic Vref & for film Zobel? are them bypassed with teflons? The cable used between regs. & mm/mc RIAA is CAT5?

About mm/mc RIAA:
Wich is the gain?
Wich cart use your friend?
The other resistors are all Shinkoh?

How are you going to connect the GND on the output ?

Would you post a pic when you finish the connections ?

Guys this is OT here, still I will say there are no special formulas or magical parts. I just see they make a coherent whole to my ears, but mainly that there are no measurement nasties in a build. This one has 3 times faster Japanese BJTs in the regs than usual, run flirting with their SOA limit, has half flicker noise unobtanium head amp fets, and has different bias points of course. Set up for low THD with >0.5mV carts. Its 100% mirror layout and 100% matched values also. Did not know that CCS setting resistors can be picked up subjectively, haven't noticed.

58.5dB gain
Clearauadio Goldfinger v2.
Yes Tants
GND in pseudo grounds the cold pin too.
No more pics, it got kidnapped already. :)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You can't buy anymore. Old Japanese VAS grade ones kept in the vault.
I can't try, its given away to its owner. He got chuffed and had a bottle of wine after he listened for an hour, so its difficult he lets me put a hand again there unless it blows up.:D
No Teflons in the regs because the rest of the circuit is already much ''faster'' so I left a proportion of ''mellowness'' there. Still it has 80kHz OLG due to special BJTs when yours have 5kHz-20kHz OLG depending on current and termination. So they must be tuned differently.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Ok

But did you connect both ouput GND to the chassis GND and not to the riaa board ?

I experienced with that in my initial Benz build with great success... I am wondering if I should do the same in the other one that has the output GND connected to the riaa board GND in both channels (This way GND left and GND right are independent).

I do not have hum issues with the second build but I wonder if that is a best practice I should follow.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It references at the end of the board ground chain and then to chassis. Had the 50Hz hum needle at -97dB on FFT. -110dB 20Hz noise floor at 485mV output ref 1V. I.e. -104dB. Thus the Bibs clearly did not pose any noise problem, and that is straight to telescopic cascode, picks up like mental especially with 851x 1kHz gain, 8414x 20Hz gain due to Riaa. Also Vo was rock soilid. Set it only once. Considering the drift potential of a Norton Zener, i.e. a CCsed resistive Vref, it should have hit some good equilibrium with various Tc and the NTc action of the Led on the power BJT's Vbe.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Attention I see big differences all C grade between manufacturers, I have some 560C Fairchild 544-619 hfe (only two more than 600 hfe) unknown manufacturer 426-517 hfe (only two more than 500 hfe).;)

The datasheets give 550C for anything between 420 to 800 hfe for Ic=2mA Vce=5V. So you will see quite a range between makes and batches.