SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Too heavy a dummy load. Should be drawing half your CCS to 3/4 is correct. Use a 15R 2W-5W dummy to emulate ~220mA draw, set for 350ma to 450mA CCS. Check voltage drop across R301 to estimate what current you have available to use.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You will have to know what the circuit draws without Tridents since you are about to check without them. I have read that a Buff 2 draws 410mA with Tridents on it. Anyway, keep in mind to have whatever it needs in the end +100mA in CCS reserve. If it takes 200mA for instance, you are OK with 300mA.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I am not Russ to surely tell you what consumes how much in those modules, but I trust you will make it out in practice. Its shown that your reg works when the currents are at correct proportions, that's enough to start. Good luck.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Soul COME BACK:D

Better & more bass, more transients, more fast, better mids, glorious highs.

No Tridents, No Lifepo batteries, winner Salas BiB regulator:c_flag:

N.B. When your regs are more near the signal is born sounds better;)

Attachments

• DSC00051.jpg
    DSC00051.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 680
Normally 3.3V, but the AVCC throws about 3.5V to achieve better dynamic range. Not shure about the current, but i guess it would be a few mA. I was thinking that the most significant sonic influence would be on the analog supply. That' s why the stock Buffalo II had shunt regs is this position from the beginning.

Joined 2001
Paid Member
...quad of green LED's rather than triplet in CCS...

Whoa, that woke it up. E/R=I, 3.25V across R1, R1=5.6 ohms.... 580mA. Dummy load is 12.6 ohms, output set at 5.3V = 420mA to simulate Buffalo 2 w/ Trident regs. (DC Vin is 11.3V, 6V headroom)

One of my CCS LED's glows a bit yellow, anything I should be concerned about? My 5W Vishay's should be here in a couple of days so I'll try those out before any more "quad mods". But, an interesting experiment, and would certainly power my DAC at this point for a test.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
What can I do with you Buffalo guys all over, I talked to Crt for adding a 4rth one in the next run for your convenience.:D They can be red also, to keep the voltage diff a bit tamer. Near 2W burning constantly on your 5.6R, now... Will make a 5W spec very hot in practice. Keep it off PCB distant enough.

One of my CCS LED's glows a bit yellow, anything I should be concerned about?

Better change it.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Normally 3.3V, but the AVCC throws about 3.5V to achieve better dynamic range. Not shure about the current, but i guess it would be a few mA. I was thinking that the most significant sonic influence would be on the analog supply. That' s why the stock Buffalo II had shunt regs is this position from the beginning.

It's linked to your clock frequency. It about 36mA under 3.3v @ 50mhz and should be about 55mA 3.3v @100Mhz
100~150mA shunt reg should be Ok

Thank you guys:)

Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well, new current set resistors are in. Good and bad news. Legato supply current is almost exactly where I want it. Positive side is +14.9V@334mA (Rset=5r). Negative side is -13.9V@296mA (Rset=3.3r). These rail voltages put my Legato in the "sweet spot" (VCC/2)-1V . It all looks quite sinister on my chassis, Darth Vader would probably use these regs in his projects. Tried a 2r for Buffalo supply (5.3V), ....runs 650mA, so I plan to back that off. Probably needs about a 2.5r I would guess.

Can't comment on the sound quality because I've done something to the right channel on my Legato, no fault of the supply itself. I won't go into it because this is the BiB thread. I'll try to get it sorted out next week. My solder rework equipment at my workplace far exceeds what I have at home.