SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Here's a building thread for the SSLV1.1 BiB PCB reg. Its to discuss builds, ask questions, tell stories.:D
The absolutely must read before build PDF instructions link for download is: BIBguideRev2. Good luck!:trapper:

That guide is also attached in a somewhat lower resolution compressed file below.

''Lazybutt'' Fred's Excel calc attachment to help you set values has been added on 1/14/12

And a useful wiring configuration tip is: When and how to connect the reg in two wire mode

:nod: Successor new design (2018): Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator :nod:

Attachments

• SSLV1.1 Calculator V1a.xls.zip
    55.6 KB · Views: 3,036
  • BIBguideRev2_SM2.pdf
    701.3 KB · Views: 1,226
Joined 2009
Paid Member
0.5A=CCS? P=V*I. What will be the Vin, the Vout? What will be the load consumption? Define all those, then read the V1.1 Bib guide section 6:

"6.Sinking.
Q101,201,301 is the CCS Mosfet. Q106,206,306 is the shunt element. Q101 will dissipate the (DCin-DCout) * CCS current setting. Q106 will dissipate DCout * (CCS-LoadCurrent). From those Wattage products the sinking needs can be projected. If you will use a common sink 2C/W for 10W total dissipation, its temperature will rise +20 degrees C from ambient for instance. In most situations for up to 200mA settings and medium DCouts, sinking on metal enclosure floor or sides proves much tolerable. The power semis can be set upright for side sinking or underneath for parallel sinking as in the picture. For low CCS setting and DCout, individual clip on sinks can do. Check the above P=I*V conditions in your application thoroughly before any working attempts!''

Sink the above info down well, then choose sinks.:D

Please see if I understood correctly.

DCin 33.84V
DCout 24V
Load consumption 0.07A

Q101 will dissipate the (DCin-DCout) * CCS current setting
33.84 - 24 = 9.84V x 0.5A = 49.2W
25º : 49.2W = 0.5 ºC/W

Q106 will dissipate DCout * (CCS-LoadCurrent)
24 x (0.5A-0.07A= 0.43A) = 10.32W
25º : 10.32W = 2.5ºC/W

If you prefer could you move to the new thread for SSLV1.1 BIB reg.:)
Sink the above info down well, then choose sinks.:D

For V1.0 remote sense reg is the same way to calculate the sinking?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
33.84 - 24 = 9.84V x 0.5A = 4.92W
25º : 4.92W = 5 ºC/W

For any Version same calculation, yes. That will mean ambient temperature +25C. Maybe you need be more conservative for Spain where the rain stays mainly in the plane? *Moving to proper thread.

Well i completed my first SSv1.1BiB Reg today...

It is a 5v 200ma mosfet version and it replaced the SSV1.0 reg powering my Optivol section in my Dcb1 preamp. I used the minikits supplied plus used two 10uf obligato caps i had in my parts bin(which i soldered underneath the board as they are too large to put on top). Diodes used are Mur1520 as i also had these spare. The Force and Sence wiring used is very thin Venhaus Silver in cotton wire(twisted) again i had this spare and smoothing/filter cap is a 15000uf Mundorf Mlytic and yes by now you guessed it...it was spare!!

Here are some pics taken with iphone so not very good quality.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

So how does it sound?? Well My initial thoughts as i started to play music was WOW there is sooo much more resolution!! More Air around instruments, soundstage goes wider deeper and now higher(was'nt getting much height before but now i can tell when someone is standing or sitting down :)) Bass seems nicer as well, cant explain why, maybe more tuneful...so after listening for an hour and whilst listening to Adele (rolling in the deep) something else struck me...literally!! the dynamics are absolutely incredible..to me like listening to live music..when adele belts out the chorus the dynamics are incredible this means that music make me more emotional more hair raised on the back of neck experience...so by now you can guess that im petty pleased...

Thank you sooo much Salas for a Wonderful design, also must thank CRT and Teabag for all there hard work too. I cant wait to change over the ss1.0 for the new SS1.1BiB regs in my Dac :)

Just one question Salas, do you think i would gain any benifits from Swapping the force and sense wire for something thicker? oh ok another question...would any of the resistors in particular benifit from being a Tx2575? I think i will change the 10ohm Kiwame resistor to Mills and run at 300ma next :)

Thanks Alon

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Just one question Salas, do you think i would gain any benifits from Swapping the force and sense wire for something thicker? oh ok another question...would any of the resistors in particular benifit from being a Tx2575? I think i will change the 10ohm Kiwame resistor to Mills and run at 300ma next :)

Thanks Alon

Thicker gauge won't benefit. For parts selection in Vref or caps, you will be the cooks. Congratulations, you are a fast gun. Enjoy!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There will be some minus drift in some applications with larger voltages and currents for mainly resistive means of Vref if preferred. I got -0.1V in 30mins in my 15V prototype with 2 leds and a Bourns trimmer. Which I trimmed up for when hot.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
caps

Originally Posted by Salas
I had used 10mF BHC slit foil, that was a good one. But not a budget one. Nichicon and Panasonic are very good IMO.

Wich one 10mF 80V? 35mm diameter to fit in the boards it's a little bit difficult but did you do? all questions is because I need to buy capacitors for the regs.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Originally Posted by Salas
I had used 10mF BHC slit foil, that was a good one. But not a budget one. Nichicon and Panasonic are very good IMO.

Wich one 10mF 80V? 35mm diameter to fit in the boards it's a little bit difficult but did you do? all questions is because I need to buy capacitors for the regs.

The BHC was not on the PCB but on a perf test. 63V it was.