SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

BTW...

Thanks to merlin for recommending a decent film cap (at 10 uF) for the Vref stage for analog circuitry. I changed my BiBs to using Mundorf MKP at 10 uF for the Vref caps (also powering a Legato DAC I/V) and the improvement was very nice. I also use the Mundorf MKP at 4.7uF for the output cap. These Mundorfs are compact enough to fit without excessively long leads, even the 10 uF.
Everytime I can "move" electrolytics farther away from the analog stage, things sound better...

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Yes, Ricardo.

I use BG or Pana FM with great success, if you use film the sound become with less body and lacks of bass.

I agree

I started with the V1 (similar to the BiB) and found that EL vref gave really good body.

Then I went to V1.2 and after that I built the Optimae and understood the benefits of films on vref and output.

Finally I settled with V12R that is stable.... can not go back. Ilike the utter high freq definition.

Hint: did you ever use a Amphom fp-ca-au 630vdc for Vref ? I use those in my DCB1 with outstanding results.... heavy bass with subtle hih freq detail.

Yes...

barrows
are you talking about white Mundorf MKP
which cap replaced - electrolytic or other MKP

I use the white Mundorf MKP for both Vref (10uF) and the output cap in the zobel (4.7uF) for the BiB regs which power my Legato (I/V stage). Mainly I choose those because they are decent film caps, which are compact enough to fit without a ton of extra lead length. For powering the digital circuits, I use 1000uF Panasonic FM for Vref. If you are also running the Legato: I found with the Salas regs it worked better replacing the 100uF electrolytic caps on the Legato board with .1uF MKP as well: getting the electrolytics away from the analog circuitry all together.
Before Merlin advised the 10uF film caps for Vref, I was using 220uF SilimicIIs, bypassed under the board with .1uF polystyrene films. The bypass helped, but going to the 10uF film cap alone was better, more transparency, more real sounding.

Last edited:
2mF (2000uF) is generally enough for 1A of output from the smoothing capacitance and have acceptable ripple ahead of the circuit be it a regulator or an amplifier.
On that basis 500mA will require only 1mF of smoothing capacitance. 4700uF will reduce the ripple by about 4.7times lower than is normally deemed necessary.
10mF is simply silly for 500mA of load (into the regulator) current.