SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

Thanks Salas.

lessons learned:

Next time, I'll build, measure, then order the correct R's. Can't rely on theoretical specs for this. For some reason, I had spec'd the V at 2.3 from spreadsheet so I had those 3.9r for about ccs 600ma

In essence, I need to order 1.2 and 1.55 r to get .600 from both bibs.

so 2x2.4r and 2x3.1r in 5W

.72/600 = 1.2
.93/600=1.55

thanks all for support

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
...Or simply sub a stronger LED that will make up for the difference, or, or...
The calc makes some assumptions, but if you will feed it your measured LEDs total Vf and specific Mosfet's VGS it will guess better. This is not a very easy to grasp initially reg for its inner works and fine points, its very individual. Using passive voltage reference with no local feedback loop holding its value even...But it pays in tone I hope. That part was the focus of the design.
Some pictures after you are finished are always welcome to the shunt family album.

SSLV1.1 powering TDA1541A

Improvement in sound with these regs is quite a step up. Happy with the stability so far; DC coupling to my power amp has been quite a juggling act but ive enjoyed the challenge. Hi-res picture attached.

Attachments

• IMGP6176.jpg
    IMGP6176.jpg
    826.6 KB · Views: 269
I am looking for a cheap but good quality MKP caps to replace shunt electrolytic capacitors at speaker crossover - at mid and woofer shunt position
I have made a test replacing only one mid speaker shunt electrolytic cap of 22uF with four Bennik XPP 5,6 uF and It bring Improvement
now I need a recommendation for a other values 100uF and 68uF and 150uF
anyone tryed erse MKP

Nice. What is the config you supply exactly?
Thanks.

The 3 regs are supplying -15V, -5V, and +5V to a TDA1541A running at 44.1/16. The +5V reg is also supplying 2mA of current to bring the voltage on the analog output of the DAC to 0V (so far stable to about +-2mV).

The output stage is the CEN current conveyer circuit published by EUVL. The DAC sees about 6-7 ohm impedance keeping it roughly under the Philips' spec of +-25mV.

Question: I've built a pair of Salas shunts to supply +- 30V for a headphone amplifier project (that got seriously sidetracked by too many other things to be built first). Both are working flawlessly into their dummy loads but exhibit very different voltage ramp up behaviour (in need of a better way to describe this...).

Both are built exactly the same way BUT the colour of the 3-LED string and the make of the 5K trimmer. When I switch them on one will start at about 27V and then slowly creep up to about 30V (my desired voltage), the other starts at 29,7V and finally hits 30V. I am suspecting the trimmers, both being 64W types from Vishay...(?), but one side sports the creme housing and the other side blue (see pic).

Is this of any concern... is it the different trimmers... since in the end (after about 5 min. my voltage is at +- 30V as desired. ? :eek:

Attachments

• SSLV-2.JPG
    SSLV-2.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 357
the smoothing before the regs use very wide tolerance caps.
That would be part of any difference in start up speed.

The CCS then charges the regulator and any capacitance in the load.
That CCS into capacitance is a ramp up. IT is NOT instant.
The speed of the ramp up depends on CCS current and capacitance This would be the second contributor to difference in start up speed.

I suspect the 27V & 29V7 are simply you not being able to "see" the ramp slope differences.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Are different taste and construction both are polypropylene but:

Obbligato are aluminium foil
Auricap are metallized

Objectively foil is better than metallized so more resolution, Auricap are non inductive, always comparisons with the same rated voltage if you compare different voltages surely you prefer the more rated voltage.