Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2011, 12:06 PM   #711
diyAudio Member

These few weeks been busy on BiB shunt regulator since I got my 3 boards (separated into 6 positive and 3 negative smaller boards).

Done all these:
1. 2x positive for 3.3v for Buffalo II duo mono because the trident is dead. I change both side. Nice improvement, it is much smoother.
2. 1x positive for 13.5v power supply of 2024 tripath amp. Huge improvement; bass is slamming, deeper, better separation, sound pressure much higher. I know a lot of people using a small wall wart to power it, but you didn't know the beast inside can be released with a good power supply. Must try, but careful with the heat, it is really hot!
3. 2x positive for 5v regulators in Sony 338ESD CD player. Another jump in quality, a lot of micro details.
4. 2x negative convert to positive for 3.3v clock and regulator in Hiface digital transport. It lose to Sony 338esd by a whisker, but still got 1 more regulator not yet replace. Can anyone teach me how to build a 1.8v shunt regulator?

Now left with 1 positive and negative boards, am thinking to mod my Marantz CD50 or O2 amp but a bit lazy already and I think need to buy more board and components. To much adrenaline rush these few weeks, need to sit down and enjoy more music instead of sitting at the working desk holding soldering gun or DMM to measure here and there.

Salas and Tea-bag, nice invention you got there. Keep it up.
Thanks.
Old 15th November 2011, 12:24 PM   #712
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

don't waste your time with the hiface supplies when feeding sabre, particularly clocks, i power mine with batteries just because its easy, takes up virtually no space and doesn't polite gnd, doesn't need a transformer and minimal wire routing. but a 2300mah A123 battery lasts nearly 1 month with it constantly on, because there is virtually no current draw and mclk is not even used when supplying the es9018, it only uses its own clock for async reclocking of everything unless slaved in synchronous NOS mode
Old 15th November 2011, 12:52 PM   #713
diyAudio Member

Hi qusp,
Thanks for the tips, I have thought of that when look at jkenny mod, but I want to build something that is maintenance free, I am too lazy to think when to charge or chance battery. I tried LM1117 to supply 3.3 before but these shunt regulators is much smoother.
Since we are in this topic, have you try to bypass the Hiface output transformer? give it a try, I have better bass with it bypassed.
Old 15th November 2011, 01:16 PM   #714
diyAudio Member

BiB minimum output 2.5V with BJT.

Look at the Salas low voltage shunt regulator Disco's reg. can reach 1.8V but you haveto do P2P like I did.
Old 15th November 2011, 01:30 PM   #715
diyAudio Member

Merlin, mind send me some diagram? Where can I get the kit? Didn't see it in group buy.
Thanks.
Old 15th November 2011, 01:40 PM   #716
diyAudio Member

Isn't a kit, isn't a GB, only is the schematic & you cand do point to point or make your own pcb, give me a little of time: I will look for & I will send the link or schematic.
Old 15th November 2011, 01:42 PM   #717
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

#26 pre amp

The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator
Old 15th November 2011, 01:49 PM   #718
diyAudio Member

F1
Old 15th November 2011, 03:28 PM   #719
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhead View Post
Hi qusp,
Thanks for the tips, I have thought of that when look at jkenny mod, but I want to build something that is maintenance free, I am too lazy to think when to charge or chance battery. I tried LM1117 to supply 3.3 before but these shunt regulators is much smoother.
Since we are in this topic, have you try to bypass the Hiface output transformer? give it a try, I have better bass with it bypassed.
i think you missed my point, there is ZERO point replacing the clock regulators on the hiface if you are using it with buffalo dac or any sabre dac, this regulator powers mclk on the hiface, sabre reclocks everything and does not even accept mclk from the hiface or any source, so the quality of the power supply for the clock on the m2tech is irrelevant. i used batteries on my aku24 (ackos usb module based on the hiface oem module) not for sound improvement, but for 100% practical reasons, but it doesnt hurt that it doesnt pollute ground
Old 15th November 2011, 08:12 PM   #720
alazira is offline alazira  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin el mago View Post
BiB minimum output 2.5V with BJT.

Look at the Salas low voltage shunt regulator Disco's reg. can reach 1.8V but you haveto do P2P like I did.
Coolhead,
You can achieve down to 1.2V by using a diode instead of LED. I used BYW29EX
http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sh...9EX_SERIES.pdf
with 30ohm for very stable 1.2V. Other low Vf diodes work as well http://www.vishay.com/docs/88761/88761.pdf
Whether it is better than other circuit designed for low voltage output I cannot say.

Hide this!Advertise here!