SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales - Page 71 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th November 2011, 10:05 PM   #701
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

First question: Better ask in the BA-3 thread since its about a specific system grounding preference and there maybe hands on expertise beyond we may try theorize here.

Second question: It will still work fine, but 10cm has enough finite resistance and inductance that you maybe able to feel the remote sensing benefit if patient enough to apply. Another plan is you get away initially and you try restoring remote sense later when familiar and at leisure. Would be fun to try test just how much 10cm can catch you out or not.
Old 12th November 2011, 03:08 PM   #702
diyAudio Member

Thanks Salas,
I've been running the BiB and I'm finding the current mosfets are running just warm but the two at the output side of the board are running very hot. I'm using the same heatsinks as for the Quad FM4 tuner power supply which don't get this hot.
What can I do to reduce the temp apart from using a bigger heatsink?
The transformer is 25Vac, 1A. Do you think I should use a 22Vac, unit instead?
I'm going to increase the output voltage to see if that reduces the heat.
Chris
Old 12th November 2011, 04:12 PM   #703
diyAudio Chief Moderator

See if you run too much CCS VS your load needs. The excess headroom inevitably burns out on the output Mosfets. The higher the output voltage the hotter. Its the excess (shunted) current times Vout product.
Old 12th November 2011, 04:36 PM   #704
diyAudio Member

Ah! Yes, I've put in a R101 at 3R9 thinking this would allow some current in reserve but the BA-3 is going to draw only about 50mA. I have three green diodes populated.
So if I go for 10R on R101 then I should get it running cooler?
Chris

Last edited by Backbones; 12th November 2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12th November 2011, 05:01 PM   #705
diyAudio Chief Moderator

120-180mA depending on components specifics. Surely cooler.
Old 13th November 2011, 01:45 PM   #706
Marra is offline Marra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'm thinking of using these regs to power my Xono clone which has a seperate power supply outputting +- 38V dc. On the bib pcb's can I make a common ground between the plus & minus boards or would it be better to make the output from the p/s into a four wire connection. As the power supply has a pretty high capacitance what would be the lowest value capacitor I could use on the regulator boards or would it be best to use the 10'000uf as the supply is a couple of feet away from the phono stage.tia.
Old 13th November 2011, 04:41 PM   #707
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Hi, it will be better to employ 4 wire transmission especially for a phono stage. By having an already rectified and filtered source, you must not populate rectifying diodes on the reg board and use a 470uF good quality capacitor instead. That is to decouple the incoming wiring DCin to the reg. You will have to attach those incoming wires to unpopulated spots left by not using the diodes where they meet reg's main capacitor (+) & (-).
Old 13th November 2011, 05:07 PM   #708
Marra is offline Marra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks Nick. So only a 470uf on the input to the bib; I'll have to treat it to something exotic. I had realised about the diodes; usually using the screw connectors and wire links to connect to the cap and bridge where the diodes connect.
Old 13th November 2011, 07:11 PM   #709
diyAudio Member

Hi Salas,
I replaced the 3R9 R101 with 10R this morning and I am happy to report that all heatsinks are giving off only modest levels of heat and I have been able to reduce their size to 10degC/W as a result. A good result so far. Next will be to try the actual BA-3 front end.
Chris
Old 13th November 2011, 07:48 PM   #710
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Nice one. Keep us posted.

Hide this!Advertise here!