SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales - Page 60 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2011, 09:44 PM   #591
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Now that looks noiseless to me
Old 19th October 2011, 10:32 PM   #592
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member

Salas,
Being a genetic engineer I'm here to learn - and I'm learning. Thanks!
To stay on topic. I think that I have learned that the spare current keeps the output impedance low - which is of course a good thing. However, my ignorance (or curiosity) prompt an obvious next question: is there an important/significant correlation between how low the output impedance gets and the spare current? Or does it saturate at say +100 mA? I.e. Is +200 mA or +300 mA better than +100 mA?
I know that the precision of the exact absolute value of the spare current is not important, but as I'm a scientist, I like the experimental approach of determining which value yield what I asked for!
I also learned that for low noise apps I better filter the voltage setting circuit with a higher capacitance to reduce regulator derived noise (as described in the manual - that I did read 5-10 times!).
EfharistÚ!
Nic

P.S. I'm closely watching the events in your country to prepare myself for what we have to expect here in the future!
Old 19th October 2011, 10:45 PM   #593
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Yes, we are the in vitro test.

Anyway, diehard hot-rod users have used up to 500mA spare, claiming subjective gains in DCB1. They were enough, so I issued the Hypno hot-rod blue. Just judge in your application your own law of diminishing returns red line considering waste heat and electricity bill VS any subjective gains that YOU can assure.
Old 19th October 2011, 11:13 PM   #594
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Yes, we are the in vitro test.
No, no. True in vivo - experimentation on living human beings!
I wish you don't have the same problems with "black-block" trouble makers as here in Italy..
Anyway - I think I will opt for a modest current dump as I do not like extremist approaches
Ciao,
Nic
Old 20th October 2011, 01:15 AM   #595
diyAudio Member

I have done 1 test: with 6.3Vac (75VA) trans vs 9Vac (20VA) trans, for same output of 3.3Vdc with 130mA CCS. At first I think the result should be the same since the output is the same but after a few AB swap (everything remain the same on BiB except adjust the trimmer to get 3.3Vdc), I concluded I prefer 9Vac (20VA) trans. I don't have a scope to measure, I only have my ear to listen. Does anyone have any experience like this with some measurement?
Old 20th October 2011, 01:31 AM   #596
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Are there any construction differences between the two transformers? Same quality, same type?
Old 20th October 2011, 03:13 AM   #597
diyAudio Member

Yes, there is construction different between the 2. 6.3Vac one is toroidal while 9Vac one is EI core.
Old 20th October 2011, 03:35 AM   #598
diyAudio Member

Default Ahhh...

A good EI will sound better than a toroid in many cases. Less capacitive coupling of line noise into the power supplies with a good split bobbin EI.
Old 20th October 2011, 09:56 AM   #599
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

measure the voltage across the CCS to identify what difference there is with the two different transformers.
Supply each transformer from a Variac, setting the voltage fed in to the minimum specified by your supplier.
Measure again the CCS voltage. Do any of these CCS voltages give you cause for concern?
Your ears, no matter how good, and your brain, no matter how advanced, cannot match measurement information across the CCS.
Old 20th October 2011, 10:08 AM   #600
PET-240 is offline PET-240  Australia
diyAudio Member

We are into Audio yes?
Then what it sounds like is the best measurement, if it measures great and sounds like crap, is it enjoyable?
Measurements are important for safety and longevity agreed, but the sound is subjective, if it sounds better with an EI Trans, which doesn't shock me- boorah!
If it sounds great, but is safe and measures bad, dilligaf to the measurements.

Hide this!Advertise here!