SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have the Legato I/V Vref 10uF Auricap & Zobel MKT+R;) so I have all well configured, thanks Salas.

For the servo circuit of a CD transport I have to consider digital ?

PS I used Vishay SK102 1R that I had on hand for Zobel resistor & the sound changed to better a lot, the zobel cap is also sensitive?

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thanks for the replys. I'll detail a little where I am and the exact nature of the problem.

I've a positive and negative reg, both populated with the same values in all equivalent positions. The target voltages are +\- 15V. The negative reg is working roughly as expected, however the positive reg is only at ~10V

R101 - 5R
Vref - 2xRed Led, R103 - 2kR, Trimmer 500R
D102, 103, 104, all green led's

Everything else is as specified in the Guide.

Attached is a pic of the calculator used to generate the values and a shot of the regs. Any help is appreciated.

...is it potentially the idss of Q103 causing the issue? I did not measure this before populating the board.

Attachments

• Shuntie calculations.jpg
    Shuntie calculations.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 313
  • Shuntie.jpg
    Shuntie.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
however the positive reg is only at ~10V
...is it potentially the idss of Q103 causing the issue? I did not measure this before populating the board.

Looks its the idss. Lift R103's one leg in the positive. Add some resistance from lifted leg to its former pad. See if it gives you more range. Use a single equivalent value you will end up with by that experiment.

For the servo circuit of a CD transport I have to consider digital ?

Hi i am currently testing out a CD-rom as my new drive, it sounds swell and beats my upgraded Sony XDP-5000 quite a bit , better bass and more natural sound despite that im running a computer smps :whacko: for ps.
I tried a BIB but since the CD-rom draws from 400ma - over 1a both for the 5v and 12v the BIB fails to deliver the current,
I suppose i could have hotrodded the BIB to deliver over 1A but it only draws that in startup, and i guess the sinks for the mosfets must be very huge, i have very large sinks and it still it gets to hot @ 800ma shunt current.
My solution will be some cheap lm317 regs and upgrade with better caps, or i might skip the LM317 since the CD-rom has an on-board V-reg, when i find the spec for the on-board reg and if it can handle some voltage fluctuations i might go for a ultra simple linear supply for better dynamic.

Long introduction but heres the Q:
Have you measured the startup current and constant current for your drive?
You might run into similar prob. as me

P.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have no idea about the transport.:) Caps can be influential.

I will try default configuration for digital Vref 220uF + Zobel MKT+R to see what happens.

Attached pic with two +-30V BiB regs to power a NP classic D1 I/V, digital is receiver Crystal 8414 filter BB DF1704 DAC BB PCM1704 powered with Erno Borbely series regulators. Transformers in a separate box, for I/V two R-Core 2x30V 120VA, one per channel.

Attachments

• DSC00051.jpg
    DSC00051.jpg
    706.5 KB · Views: 306
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Long introduction but heres the Q:
Have you measured the startup current and constant current for your drive?
You might run into similar prob. as me

P.

When the load current varies so widely its not a good idea to use a CCSed reg like the BIB energy wasting wise as you have found. It idles for high speed like a turbine engine. Best energy management for setting such is when you have a steady or narrow area current demand.

I will try default configuration for digital Vref 220uF + Zobel MKT+R to see what happens.

Attached pic with two +-30V BiB regs to power a NP classic D1 I/V, digital is receiver Crystal 8414 filter BB DF1704 DAC BB PCM1704 powered with Erno Borbely series regulators.

what do you mean when telling digital Vref 220 uF ?

Interesting setup

you are powering only Pass I/V with Salas BIB regulator and everything else with EB serial regulators ? what Is your output voltage fed to Pass I/V what Is your current through CCS ?