SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales - Page 214 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2013, 10:39 AM   #2131
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your suggestions.

I tried 100uF across the sense terminals and then at the preamp board. Both seemed effective but I am not sure 100%. In a listening test the sound was rather brittle, not what I am used to for this design.

Next week I can check the output properly with a scope. I'll let you know how that goes.

Thanks
Jeremy
Old 14th March 2013, 10:43 AM   #2132
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Maybe they gave you back essential stability but not enough margin. Got to make sure you do all the suggested things alone or in combination until all is quiet on the CRO. No worries, you will solve it.
Old 14th March 2013, 10:46 AM   #2133
diyAudio Chief Moderator

P.S. 100uF on the client board when the MKT is there can resonate. Usually a snubber works better into opening up the lytic without additional problems.
Old 14th March 2013, 11:16 AM   #2134
diyAudio Member

I use the SSLV to power the BA-2 front end and very good it is too. I found that the sound of the amp was sensitive to how the reg was set up e.g., C104 altered the sound significantly depending on whether it was an electrolytic or a plastic (I preferred the latter, a cheap WIMA). Also the sound was poor (incoherent) until I removed the supply decoupling filter from the BA-2 board. I don't have a scope but it was evident from listening tests that things were not right so small changes will sound significant.
Chris
Old 16th March 2013, 02:09 PM   #2135
diyAudio Member

I don't have 1ohm resistor for r107, can I use 2 ohm to 10 ohm resistor instead in the zobel network ? What is the max value for r107 in the zobel etwork ?
Old 16th March 2013, 04:03 PM   #2136
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Two 2r0 in parallel equals 1r0.
Two 2r2 in parallel and adding 10r in parallel equals 0r991
Two 2r2 in parallel and adding 11r in parallel equals 1r0
Old 22nd March 2013, 01:06 AM   #2137
diyAudio Member

Default Oscillation follow up

Thanks guys for your input.

Just a follow up after having some problems with remote sensing.

I hooked up the scope to my regulator(s) and saw a major oscillation in my setup with remote sensing. A large 142kHz saw tooth wave was present. Both regulators had the same issue.

I tried placing a 100uF electro at 1/ the output pins (with and without C204 connected), 2/ the preamp board and 3/ across the sense pins. The 3rd was the only one which removed all oscillation.

I then removed this cap and connected the sense pins directly at the regulators output, and ran with no load. Even without remote sensing there was 20mV of oscillation at approx 45Mhz. Both regulators had this mild oscillation. I then hooked up the load and any trace of oscillation dissapeared. So I have left it this way, without remote sensing, and my little phono amp is starting to sound very good.

Just to be clear about my parts on the circuit boards. The boards are standard setup as per the BIB guide, running with 180mA CCS. C202 and C204 are both 6.8uF WIMA MKS4 and input caps are 4700uF KG.

I would recommend that anyone running remote sensing get stability checked with a scope. A tell tale sign is any voltage drop at the regulators output after remote sensing is connected. A hard sound is not a characteristic of this regulator and it may indicate a stability problem.

Jeremy
Old 22nd March 2013, 07:29 AM   #2138
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Are there film caps still on the rails at load's side? If you could have the sense too in your set up without problems it could be an enhancement but if not doing the job cleanly better without indeed. That "tell tale sign is any voltage drop at the regulators output after remote sensing is connected" is correct.
Old 6th April 2013, 12:50 PM   #2139
diyAudio Member

Thanks to Salas for this design, and thanks to Tea-Bag for the SSLV1.1 boards and JFET kits which I recently received.

Some advice, please:
I will be building a +/-13V supply for a TP Legato I/V stage. The Legato should draw approx 170mA +ve and 190mA -ve.
I was thinking to shunt 60mA on each rail, and heatsink to the chassis floor. Is this enough shunt current?
Old 6th April 2013, 02:39 PM   #2140
diyAudio Chief Moderator

100-150mA extra would fair bit better still 60mA is 3 times the minimum and it will work fine.

Hide this!Advertise here!