SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Nobody ever edits, if its not advertising spam or prank posting shows is a legit member and passes in original form. After 5 posts its automatically free unless sometimes a glitch so we mods spot some cases of too many legit posts and still stuck so we must go free them manually. You must have just passed the pipeline phase by now for instance.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I have lost count of the number of times I have recommended that the CCS part alone be assembled and tested before a Builder adds on the shunt part of the regulator.
Did you do that?
If not then disable everything to the right of R6 and disable M2 (pull out the drain lead).
Test the CCS without a load.
Then add on a 100r load and test again.
Then add on a second 100r and test again.
Post your results.

Thank you Andrew.

I can not disassemble the shunt but will do some sims and report back...

Joined 2006
Paid Member
one good combination......
zener 12v
R16 = 1k2
This enables a healthy 2.5mA startup current on the zener that goes to zero after 1.5sec for Vin =20 Vout=10

Attachments

• V13RC 10VDC evo.PNG
    V13RC 10VDC evo.PNG
    31.4 KB · Views: 171
Hi, I would like to use the sslv1.1 for a current of 600 mA and voltage 5v. I have a 9-volt transformer and 1A.
I have always used the sslv1 that has been for projects up to 100 mA. Can be used safely for 600-700 mA ?, what are the values ​​r101 for these current ?, a large sink is needed ?.
Thank you.
Al

a 9Vac, 1Aac transformer when fed into a capacitor input filter will have to be down rated to ~0.55Adc after the rectifier.
Using the full 0.55Adc rating will run the transformer at maximum rated temperature. It will be hot.
I suggest you use a continuous DC current of <50% of the maximum DC rating after applying the capacitor input de-rating (look at the manufacturers capcitor input de-rating).
i.e. a 1Aac transformer should have a continuous DC current of ~¼Adc for good relibaility.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi, I would like to use the sslv1.1 for a current of 600 mA and voltage 5v. I have a 9-volt transformer and 1A.
I have always used the sslv1 that has been for projects up to 100 mA. Can be used safely for 600-700 mA ?, what are the values ​​r101 for these current ?, a large sink is needed ?.
Thank you.
Al
Yes it can be used for such currents and has been used many times. For values try to roughly predict by using the XL calculator file from post one. With 9V transformer and your settings use a sink around 2C/W. Something like this one SK 92/50 SA FISCHER ELEKTRONIK, Heat Sink, Standard Extruded, Black Anodized, 1.9 °C/W, 40 mm, 100 mm, 50 mm | Farnell element14

Hey Andrew,

I have never heard that regards DC current, so if a trans is rated 1A AC, where is the limitation to 0.25A DC? Is it not the AC current into the rectifier?
Not to argue but to understand.

Thanks,

Drew.

Take a look at:
http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/5c007.pdf

It all depends on a combination of choke/cap input and half wave/full wave/bridge full wave rectification.

Keep in mind, there is no free lunch. If you have a 9VA transformer, that's all the energy that you can get unless you push the transformer beyond it's rating.

I'm getting ready to build a 300mA +/-26V SSLV1.1 for a BA-3 FE. Have nearly all parts, read the guide, ran the excel calculator, etc.

My ten 2SK117 JFETs measure Idss like this:

a 3.11
b 3.12
c 3.33
d 4.00
e 4.33
f 4.76
g 5.25
h 5.77
i 5.77
j 5.94

Are the >5mA OK for Q105,Q205?

Presumably I would use a/b for Qn01, e/f for Qn03 and h/i for Qn05.

BK