SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales - Page 182 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2012, 09:21 AM   #1811
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

They look like modules, cool caps.
Old 16th September 2012, 04:53 PM   #1812
roger57 is offline roger57  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
They look like modules, cool caps.
Hey Salas,

Last night was the best 4 hours of music listening I have had in a very long time. What I heard in the music was...amazing. It just sounded so right in every way. So many words to describe; but those who have used your design know what I am saying, and you must too, because how could you design this without knowing what music should sound like? Just brilliant.

I used to sell high-end audio in the 70's and 80's, including some very good tube equipment. I recognize "the sound" when I hear it, as all audiophiles do. We use all kinds of words to describe it, but all feel the same when listening to music that we love delivered in a way that sounds perfect to our senses. When someone who is brilliant with electronics is also an audiophile, along with a creative thought process, things like the "Salas shunt" become reality. What many companies would love to have designers create for them, you share freely with your fellow audiophiles all over the world.

There are others like you on the forum who are of the same mold, in pursuit of great sound, skilled in engineering, and giving freely to share their passion for great sound.

I've followed the DIY forum over the last few years and always amazed at how much time you have given to help people and answer questions. Thank you for sharing your talents and time to help educate me (and many others I'm sure) in achieving their music nirvana.

I tip my glass to you in the spirit of great sound and music.

Γεια!

Gary
Old 17th September 2012, 01:22 AM   #1813
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Nice that you liked it, cheers. I listen to the puppies also, if I don't like them I don't recommend them.
Old 18th September 2012, 01:53 PM   #1814
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

Hi guys,
I get quite a few requests about squeezebox's. I've probably asked this before -
Are most Squeezebox Touch users using a BJT+ setup @ 5v and 1A?

I am surprised it might draw that much juice. Was wondering if someone has a confirmed build with there results.
Old 18th September 2012, 07:19 PM   #1815
mjock3 is offline mjock3  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Squeezebox

The one I built I used the IRF9610, 5 volts and 1 amp. It runs the Touch just fine but would not fire up the SB3.
Old 18th September 2012, 07:24 PM   #1816
diyAudio Chief Moderator

You may use IRF9530 too for CCS and go even higher setting more safely. It will be a ''slower'' CCS though, you may hear it or you may not.
Old 18th September 2012, 07:37 PM   #1817
diyAudio Chief Moderator

*In general don't push the 9610 beyond 10W dissipation on a 2C/W sink. A typical 10V across the reg and 1A CCS example for the Touch.
Old 18th September 2012, 08:37 PM   #1818
mjock3 is offline mjock3  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
You may use IRF9530 too for CCS and go even higher setting more safely. It will be a ''slower'' CCS though, you may hear it or you may not.
What do you mean by a slower CCS?

Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 09:44 PM   #1819
diyAudio Chief Moderator

More capacitive Mosfet due to bigger die for wattage, less CCS PSRR as the frequency will go very high. Also its Vgs will be more timid than 9610 so expect more bias current for same leds and setting resistor.
Old 24th September 2012, 11:23 AM   #1820
diyAudio Member

Just read roger57’s enjoyable piece, which gives me an excuse to say again what a great sound I’m getting from this voltage reg on the BA-2 front end.
But I have found recently that the reg doesn’t make invisible the transformer. I had been using a ‘Noratel’ transformer with two 25V, 1A, secondary windings but I had wanted to drop the input voltage a little to reduce heat dissipation on the regulator. So I had some transformers made for me by Terry at ‘Canterbury Windings’ at 23V and 0.5A with GOSS bands and electrostatic shields. These were twice the price of the ‘Noratel’ units.
Now the heatsinks are cooler but the real difference is in the sound, which is significantly improved. The whole musical soundstage is more three dimensional with a less cluttered background. Musical images just stand out without effort with greater realism.
I can understand the many builders on this site who like to use any old transformer to get their project off the ground and I have done the same in the past. It may be because money is tight or perhaps recycling makes sense but I keep being reminded that good quality components make a big difference and no more so than in the power supply.

Hide this!Advertise here!