SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales - Page 163 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th July 2012, 02:29 PM   #1621
diyAudio Member

My shunts drive a (Salas)MC-pre, I changed the Vref from 2 to 3 red leds and lowered the R from about 900 to 380 Ohm. Most be subjective but I've got the feeling that the music is a bit faster and I'm hearing more fading instruments.

-Now for the 30V MM stage I want to use a combination of 3 LM329(6.9V) /4 leds / R about 220 Ohm

Salas, is the LM 329 the best choice or do you have another favourite ?
Old 8th July 2012, 04:17 PM   #1622
diyAudio Member

I'm not Salas, LM329 is fine 0,6 ohms dynamic impedance. For 30Vout I will use more LED's and less LM329.

Last edited by merlin el mago; 8th July 2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 8th July 2012, 05:19 PM   #1623
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbrain View Post

Salas, is the LM 329 the best choice or do you have another favourite ?
LM329 is probably the best low noise and low impedance high stability voltage reference you can still source in through hole package rather easily.
Old 8th July 2012, 05:26 PM   #1624
diyAudio Member

EB uses LM329DZ
Old 8th July 2012, 05:54 PM   #1625
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys !
Old 9th July 2012, 05:48 PM   #1626
mjock3 is offline mjock3  United States
diyAudio Member

I have the Salas up and running. Hooked up to a Touch Squeezebox. Couple of questions, does the wire used have any affect on the sound of the piece of equipment it is hooked up to? Also I am doing some playing around with caps, are there any that are considered positive in the way it affects the sound?

Thanks much,

Mark
Old 9th July 2012, 05:51 PM   #1627
diyAudio Chief Moderator

First of all did you find any subjective differentiation with the reg? If yes, how much? That would determine the worth of pursuing further details in parts etc.
Old 9th July 2012, 05:58 PM   #1628
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
First of all did you find any subjective differentiation with the reg? If yes, how much? That would determine the worth of pursuing further details in parts etc.
I like the reg. It is still settling in and doing some improving. It is ver ynice. My ultimate desire is to do a shootout with another supply that I had made that uses a Music Rail and see how they compare. I plan on the first test today or tomorrow.
Old 9th July 2012, 06:04 PM   #1629
diyAudio Chief Moderator

As I saw in your picture when we were looking in the heat thing you already got Wima MKS4, not sure about your main filter electrolytic, is it a Nichicon? Can't see the print on it.
You also got quality TO-220 diodes. As long as you use all 4 wires to the contact point at Squeezbox, you got a very decently built and in spec reg. There could be some Teflon bypass arrangement for the MKS caps. Smallest Teflon you could find for size, even 10nF value is OK. Or Polysterene, or Silver Mica. Use them under PCB at MKS pins. That ups resolution a bit, each one has a slightly different tonality in applications that their influence can be picked up at all. But give it 48 hours on the play counter first, the electrolytic tends to settle in that time.
Old 9th July 2012, 06:11 PM   #1630
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
As I saw in your picture when we were looking in the heat thing you already got Wima MKS4, not sure about your main filter electrolytic, is it a Nichicon? Can't see the print on it.
You also got quality TO-220 diodes. As long as you use all 4 wires to the contact point at Squeezbox, you got a very decently built and in spec reg. There could be some Teflon bypass arrangement for the MKS caps. Smallest Teflon you could find for size, even 10nF value is OK. Or Polysterene, or Silver Mica. Use them under PCB at MKS pins. That ups resolution a bit, each one has a slightly different tonality in applications that their influence can be picked up at all. But give it 48 hours on the play counter first, the electrolytic tends to settle in that time.
Thanks Salas, yes it is a Nichicon. I will try the Teflons, thanks again.

Hide this!Advertise here!