SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

Salas Full House!

Just wanted to say a big thank you to Salas for providing the community with his excellent power supplies, which I've used in the DAC I've just finished putting together.

I'm using a pair of BIBs and a pair of Reflektor-Ds.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I couldn't have made the journey without the support of Salas, merlin', AndrewT, et al - cheers guys.

I've posted more info on the build here;

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/227502-amanero-isolator-reclocker-gb-172.html#post4206993

Ray

Last edited:
Hi All, I just built a +/- 16V shunt with an off board pre reg. Ill post pics when Im done. The pre reg is a series reg and the shunt drops from 22V to 16V on both rails which I think is enough for effective regulation. I had oscillations but I cut the wires feeding the dummy load and this seemed to help.

Anyway, Im nearly done with my dynalo hp amp that this is feeding. The dynalo has quite a few rail decoupling caps, both polyester and electrolytic. I read on this thread that capacitive loads can make the reg unstable. Should I just leave out the electrolytics and use the polyester caps, or should I just reduce the 6 X electrolytes caps from 100uF to say 4 X 47uf caps and use normal high esr caps. Or maybe no caps at all. I could just build it as per schematic and see what happens I guess.

Anyone out there with advice or experience, please advise.

thanks in advance.

Attachments

• dynalo_rev_c.pdf
    40.6 KB · Views: 74
low esr capacitors are more likely to make a PSU unstable.
Normal commercial grade electrolytics are generally of higher esr, just high enough that when the correct range of sizes is selected according to the reg manufactirer's guidance you don't end up with an oscillatiing PSU.

low esr electrolytic caps designed for high frequency SMPS and plastic film capacitors designed for high frequency use generally increase the risk of instability.

You can use added resistance in series with the low esr capacitor to "tune out" the instabilities.

Questions on BiB board stuffing

I am just now taking a closer look at my BiB boards and I have what seems like a really dumb question about stuffing them. In several places (e.g. C101, C102) the schematic shows two caps in parallel, but on the board all the holes are in a row. How do you get both caps in there? This happens again for C103/4. Do you put the mkt's on the bottom of the board and the electro's on top? That is the only thing I could think of.
Thanks

I am just now taking a closer look at my BiB boards and I have what seems like a really dumb question about stuffing them. In several places (e.g. C101, C102) the schematic shows two caps in parallel, but on the board all the holes are in a row. How do you get both caps in there? This happens again for C103/4. Do you put the mkt's on the bottom of the board and the electro's on top? That is the only thing I could think of.
Thanks

They're not in parallel but options; you choose the cap type/value depending on what you'll be using the supplies for. It's all detailed in the build guide, (Appendices 1 and 4). Good luck.

Ray

More (?dumb?) questions

They're not in parallel but options; you choose the cap type/value depending on what you'll be using the supplies for. It's all detailed in the build guide, (Appendices 1 and 4). Good luck.

Ray
Got it. I did not read the appendices carefully enough. Thanks
Now another (potentially dumb) question: The BOM says R101=10R, 2W or 3.9R, 5W for 'hotrod'. Using the xls spreadsheet with demand of 200mA and ccs of 400mA (Vin=25, Vo=10, but I don't think that matters here.), 3xLED @ 1.9, I get 1R9 , 0.3W (so make it 1W for safety). That is quite a discrepancy. I realize I may have to wire it up, try it and adjust, but any thoughts on the differences?