SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

Yeah one set lost a new set was sent, mike had my old address on file from the salas blue edition DCB1 GB and although we have dealt since then with the new address (not really new, weve been here 6 months) and although the paypal info was correct, i guess it just slipped through the cracks and was sent to the old address and our mail forwarding stopped a few months ago now. mistakes can and will happen, mike sent me a new order straight away, I couldnt be happier with the service and for what is basically volunteer work too

ive tried contacting the new owners of the house as they sent a few bits after the mail forwarding stopped, but they must be away or something as nobody has been around the 2 times and i guess the package is just large enough to be annoying if you have to keep forwarding it, as it cant just have a stamp slapped on it, so cant blame them if theyve thrown it out, hopefully it will show up

arrgh, that sux about the 15uf, i have 2 of them here from another build and they fit so nicely. looks like i'll put the 7.5uf polyprop in there.

Last edited:
Ok Salas,

Effort 1, think I'm getting a handle on this,
output V=7-9V
input V=12VDC
out current 1.3A + .2A Extra for CCS=1.5A
Following the example of 3 x 2.1 V LED, 2V drop over R101 and 1.5 A Current = 1.3 ohm R101?
Will go for the trim section next but this is a touch confusing!
Why is the trim current section so low, is this the extra .2A we allow for? What voltage do I calc this with to get the R values? The output one? This is what I figure!!!

Thanks Salas

Am I close please?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Input 12VAC transformer 3A secondary. TO-220 bridge diodes with sinking provisions. 1 blue & 2 green or yellow leds in the row of 3. Or 4 green if there will be time we revise and add an additional one in the new PCB production. We can't know the R101,201,301 before hand exactly, due to tolerance of a dynamic parameter of the individual Mosfet parts called Vgs. As the current gets heavier it grows. The formula is VRset(V)/Rset(Ohm)=CCScurrent(A). In the voltage section use 2 red leds, 1k2 resistor, 1k trimmer, jumper Zener position.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It won't end up that high, diodes don't conduct infinitely and present their own drop also. You gonna get 15VDC give or take is my rough estimation. Which is good headroom for 9VDC out and this reg. Trafo may sag and mains may vary don't forget. For the trim (Vout) section there is info in my answer above.

The fog is beginning to lift I feel. Sorry for all the hassles Salas, ok to start;
12VAC 3A =40VA trannie, cool? I'm ok with 50 really......
Will be half the CCS current for each half of the bridge or about 3V per diode? therefore about 400mA each diode to calc heatsinking? That's a guess if your'e wondering......I have no idea how you guys design this stuff!
Ok not to know R101 etc first, but am I on the right track for value?
The remainder of the resistors etc remains the same aside from the mosfet/bjt differences?
The Blue/green/yellow as described above, I think you've mentioned somewhere before the blue does something different regulation wise?
And no idea how I missed the trim setup you added at the end, seems my eyes just stopped reading the sentence, my apologies!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
50VA should do, yes. The CCS is DC current. The bridge passes it all in cycles. So 1.5W dissipation for each diode. You can use an aluminum Pi shaped bracket for each pair, or sink them to the chassis floor. Don't forget to isolate them with pads and nylon washer. For the Mosfets use 1C/W sink common to both. Even a bigger one if you got the space. Its going to dissipate ~12W constantly in this reg setting. Your eyes are OK, I was editing while you were posting.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
is Q303 I always 3mA? What determines this, the R304 Value?

Not always, it takes about a 4mA free IDSS one. Its determined by self current max when G&S pins are shorted at 10V test PSU. Under 0.65V that it works here, it gave about 3mA. Those differ in manufacture ranging from 2.6-6.5mA for GR grade. But most fall in the 3-5mA bracket.