SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th August 2011, 07:02 PM   #131
diyAudio Member

Hi Salas
I'm riding a version for 5.25 V output with ccs 470 ma. I think I've managed with R1 3R3 and R305 1k trimmer (jumper r303). Through r1 I have 1.55v and 5.25v in the output .. good!

My guess is that with R1 3R9, the maximum voltage at the outputs is 4.9 v. Although r305 (trimer) rises above 300 ohms. However, with R1 3R3 I can get with the trimer (1k) the 5.25 volts I want.

This ok?

Thanks!
Old 4th August 2011, 07:29 PM   #132
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Do you have it on a near setting consuming load when taking those voltages?
Because it sounds like with 3R9 you are left without enough juice and it progressively ducks Vout max. So with 3R3 looks OK. In general, know your load exactly and then top it for CCS current setting.
Old 4th August 2011, 08:29 PM   #133
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Do you have it on a near setting consuming load when taking those voltages?.
yes, I have put a dummy load resistor 12ohm 5W.
Old 4th August 2011, 08:52 PM   #134
diyAudio Chief Moderator

That explains it. With 3R9 you were on the edge. It behaves normally.
Old 4th August 2011, 09:04 PM   #135
diyAudio Member

Let's go for the 15V!
Old 4th August 2011, 09:14 PM   #136
diyAudio Chief Moderator

What is it for? The usual?
Old 5th August 2011, 01:51 PM   #137
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

is anyone using these for truly hispeed oscillator power? my clock is 100mhz and i just wonder if this is the best usage for the reg, would the output cap (a nice big film cap) compensate for the relatively high zout at such a high frequency?
Old 5th August 2011, 01:59 PM   #138
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Use BJT output as in the guide if you want the highest bandwidth of flat Zo it can give. It goes higher Zo mOhm in total is the flip side.

At 100MHz even if we had an ideal voltage source I doubt that any layout and wiring would not rise impedance either on the reg or in the receiving circuit anyway. Radios, communication, and computers succeed to work on LM317 kHz bandwidth flat Zo and then shooting through the roof style, and SMPS to keep the world going, so we are in better hope with this reg I would dare guess.
Old 5th August 2011, 02:08 PM   #139
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

thanks Salas, yeah i had already decided that the bjt is the one for the job, thats what the singular lv bjt+ kit I ordered was for, its a better compromise to have flatter although a touch higher z output for this situation. i just wondered if you had seen any sims or plotted what happens at much higher frequency, as the graph only goes to 100khz, a factor of 1000x different to my load and the mosfet sim started a pretty steep upward trend towards the edge of the plot, i wondered if the bjt did the same, but later. i guess a really nice teflon cap is in order and a well bypassed XO directly across the pins with an np0

I was considering using the new lt ultrafast transient response mosfet controller LT1575, which basically does what it sounds like and drives an external mosfet as a source follower, its designed for exactly this type of load, primarily high speed CPUs, considerably better than the ol' 317

Last edited by qusp; 5th August 2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 5th August 2011, 02:16 PM   #140
diyAudio Chief Moderator

It should be about 1 Ohm at 100MHz with the BJT at the output. At those frequencies, if your digital circuit isn't best decoupled and awesome layout, nothing can save it. I doubt there aren't traces of the clock and multiples on rails, gnd, and on field if poking around with a 1GHz oscilloscope even on air defense grade high clock digital equipment.

Hide this!Advertise here!