SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I did read the guide several times. Perhaps not as thouroughly but I am not an EE. Very junior at electronics so it feels nice to have profs explaining. Sorry if my questions are too mundane.

cheers!

About the test loading etc. its just Ohm's law. Through experiments it all becomes apparent to grasp, so it takes practice, and revisiting the instructions. I am no EE too, no worries.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member

The guide just says what happens with a 2C/W and 10W on it. Rising 20C above ambient that is. If its never more than 30C ambient, it can be a logical choice.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The guide says max out 45V. So no sweat to go 24V. The tube preamp you showed for using it should not be consuming more than a few tens of mA including the op amp servo. Q2 & Q3 output Mosfets on Cato should not be biased hard judging from their mini sinks. Install a 10R R101,201 setting resistor for CCS. If you want to be sure, ask your expert friend to measure its consumption per rail, or ask Welborne Labs directly. The reg can surely cover with ease. Let us know, so we confirm how you must set the reg.

The guide says max out 45V. So no sweat to go 24V. The tube preamp you showed for using it should not be consuming more than a few tens of mA including the op amp servo. Q2 & Q3 output Mosfets on Cato should not be biased hard judging from their mini sinks. Install a 10R R101,201 setting resistor for CCS. If you want to be sure, ask your expert friend to measure its consumption per rail, or ask Welborne Labs directly. The reg can surely cover with ease. Let us know, so we confirm how you must set the reg.

Dear Salas,
My friend just telling me approximately 150ma per channel (signal path only). Is the V1.1 capable for that?

I just asking my friend who know how to make PCB, he is asking whether I have the gerbers, what is this?

Thanks again!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Give him the link from post#1 to download the PDF guide about the reg and he will know how to set its constant current. Tell him to set for 250mA per rail @ 24V+/-VDC, and not use the LM chips on Cato anymore. Gerbers are PCB making robot guide files, that are not to be shared, are proprietary for the group buy. Ask for a board from the supplementary group buy that is coming.

Give him the link from post#1 to download the PDF guide about the reg and he will know how to set its constant current. Tell him to set for 250mA per rail @ 24V+/-VDC, and not use the LM chips on Cato anymore. Gerbers are PCB making robot guide files, that are not to be shared, are proprietary for the group buy. Ask for a board from the supplementary group buy that is coming.

Salas,
How we know the annoucement for the group buy? Also, are you going to release the new SSHV2 regualtor soon? If you do, I won't touch any SSHV now.

Thanks again!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Salas,
I already signed up the LV 1.1board. I just wondering can we put DNM 4 pole (T-network) capacitor between your LV 1.1 regulator and the rectifier in the power supply?

No, the PCB has on board rectification and filtering and its arranged for the 99.99% industry standard two terminal capacitors. You got to hack and drill for a 4 terminal ''inputs'' & ''outputs'' DNM T-NET cap. Messy.

9V Supply

G'day Salas,

Trying to understand, I have a dac that has 16xTDA1543 chips, acc to the datasheet, they will draw around 1.3A when running up to 9v, will this reg handle this please?
Trying to make sense of the guide for this info but my tired brain aint getting it.

Hope you can advise so I can get on the group buy,

Thanks,

Drew.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Similar regs before this version using IRFP rugged Mosfets did 2A+ and got used for T-Amps. So this one should do too. There is IRF9520 40W which is rated 6A that I would recommend for such high current CCS and its fast enough, not as fast as the IRF9610 20W 1.8A, but good. Use one blue and two green or yellow LEDS in the CCS LEDS triplet. Or there will be a 4th LED place to use all green or yellow, by the time the new PCB run will be ready. That is to give headroom for ref voltage across the CCS resistor at high currents. CCS setting should be 1.5A in your case. Try the 9610 first, still in theoretical current spec. Sinking will have to be adequate.

Got the

new regs into the Buffalo/Legato chassis last night and did some listening. I was expecting, perhaps, a slight improvement over the v 1.0; well, there is more than a slight improvement. It always amazes me how much difference seemingly small changes in power supply implementation can make! Very happy here.
Much thanks to Salas and TeaBag for a great design and sharing the knowledge to allow us to implement it.

parts details:
diodes: ON MSRF 860G
smoothing caps: Mundorf MLytic, 10,000 uF for analog, and Nichicon Gold Tune 10,000 uF for digital
Vref cap: Elna Silmic II, 220 uF
Zobel cap: Mundorf 4.7 uF MKP
Current set resistors: Mills 5W
Other resistors: mini kit for 1R, others PRP and Takman MF
Heat Sinks: .5" x 1.5" x 4" Al angle stock, sunk to case bottom (.125" Al)

boards finally arrived today!! they look great, so much nicer and more compact than the...ermm...unofficial version. so much so that if using the chassis for heatsinking they might actually be useful for dac projects. i'm so glad we went with the fets on the sides. i'll knock a couple up this week and get some pics.

thanks to all involved!!

also barrows, your bom is pretty much what i have lined up, except maybe using cree diodes and the output cap for one will be 15uf mmk rifa and i might try 4.7uf vcap oimp for kicks. i have a heap of spare pairs of various exotic caps left from when i was running single ended gear, but now that my system is all balanced and mostly DC coupled, pairs are no good. theyve been finding their way into unexpected places decoupling

did you do any testing with the cree zero recovery stuff Salas? or are they not suitable and a more soft recovery preferred?

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
boards finally arrived today!! they look great, so much nicer and more compact than the...ermm...unofficial version. so much so that if using the chassis for heatsinking they might actually be useful for dac projects. i'm so glad we went with the fets on the sides. i'll knock a couple up this week and get some pics.

thanks to all involved!!

also barrows, your bom is pretty much what i have lined up, except maybe using cree diodes and the output cap for one will be 15uf mmk rifa and i might try 4.7uf vcap oimp for kicks. i have a heap of spare pairs of various exotic caps left from when i was running single ended gear, but now that my system is all balanced and mostly DC coupled, pairs are no good. theyve been finding their way into unexpected places decoupling

did you do any testing with the cree zero recovery stuff Salas? or are they not suitable and a more soft recovery preferred?

You are welcome. What happened in the end for they came so late? Got lost and found? Or are a new set?

I only used MURs.

Don't use more than 10uF in the termination Zobel if you can, no real problem, but they start curtailing its OLG bandwidth at 15uF. 4.7uF-10uF is fine.