Tony's latest traffo DIY build

10mm mylar tapes are used for insulation in many commercial toroids,
while some do not even use inter layer insulations...
cotton tapes are also used a lot....

a 190 turn primary for a 230 volt mains is just 1.2 volts, voltage between adjacent turns
the enamel on the magnet wires can withstand way way more than that...

i calculated around 0.9T for the formulas that the "you tube" tutorials use,
assumption is that core quality is that of M6 or better....
commercial toroids out of china may use lower quality,how do we know?
H18 or H50 and we will never know, so it is very important when dismantling burned toroids to get the winding data used and stick with it, operating at say 0.8T (more primary turns) when unsure of core quality...

just below the knee is always the chosen operating point,
but how do you know the knee?
unless the manufacturer of the core gives you that data...

toroids are easier to saturate than a comparable EI,
whether due to dc in the line, or high mains or overloading of the secondary windings....

sir tony,
the commercial torroids i am referring to was that sold in your neighbor "drin electronicx" or somewhere in raon maybe you know their products being sold........what can you say?
sometimes from cebu also.

not familiar with "drin electronicx".....

(he's known as "aldrin diana" by some local DIYers if i rememberd it right) sorry off topic

that series lamp tester will help you along the way..

i always use series lamp tester usually 50w @ no load (stanby) often times in my experience 100VA-1000VA should not lit up and plug in for overnight, if heat is tolerable in at least 12hrs thats the time ill soak it to varnish, usually the remington brand - was the only available here.

for 1.2kVA or higher i use 100W bulb.

190Turns around the core with a 3" ID will require a large overlap in the winding where it passes through the ID. Roughly 138Turns will fill the ID with ONE layer.....................

10mm mylar tapes are used for insulation in many commercial toroids,
while some do not even use inter layer insulations...
a 190 turn primary for a 230 volt mains is just 1.2 volts, voltage between adjacent turns
the enamel on the magnet wires can withstand way way more than that.....................
It seems I did not explain this well enough.

190Turns of 1.63mm diameter wire will not fit as one layer in a toroid with 3" Internal Diameter (ID).
Once one layer has been wound on, the primary winding will need to begin a second layer over the start of the first layer.
This overlap will have near mains voltage between the windings.
I recommend adding insulation between the layers of primary winding.
Does that explain it any better?

why even explain?, we diy'ers know from actual experience...
there are techniques that will make those turns fit, the overlapping is done on the inside diameter, and on the outside perimeter side by side...
if you can imagine it, you can do it...

are you actually making your own traffos now? any pictures we can look at?

there are techniques that will make those turns fit, the overlapping is done on the inside diameter, and on the outside perimeter side by side...

yes tony sir
Just like I did it, in my toroidal transformer look at below image

Toroidal transformer 2.jpg - Google Drive

there are techniques that will make those turns fit, the overlapping is done on the inside diameter,
My earlier post did mention two methods.
and on the outside perimeter side by side...

You may remember that I do not wind mains primaries. I do not believe my skills and resources are up to that.

yes sir but i have scanned partially just a few have found maybe later...
1.5CL x 4" #18primary #14 Secondary 55-0-55. some of my work has no picture taken coz i need to borrow cam. :)

Attachments

• 116.JPG
    116.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 299
  • 114.jpg
    114.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 292
  • 113.JPG
    113.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 287
  • 112.JPG
    112.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 288
  • 115.jpg
    115.jpg
    446.2 KB · Views: 294
Is the winding controller setting the speed of both motors?

Yes The winder do use one motor for winding and one for guiding the wire, because I go to wind a signal transformer who is very small and thin wire I go use this, busy now with biulding it, maybe it is even usable with bigger stepper for winding to make output trafo,s.

I use a core special for signal transformers, it get to 5 Henry multilayer, this can only with that winder, the program and electronics I do not now yet if it works oke, there are also versions on usb and pc.

with the guid motor I can use very thin wire, pause it etc.

I use a core special for signal transformers, it get to 5 Henry multilayer....

Kees, be sure that you wind for much more than 5 Henry.
I guess your reference is 600 ohm (divided by 2pi.F), but this way the transformer will have very little input signal capacity (saturation); go for something like 150H to present a ~ 20k AC load; that's doable on your core with thin wire.
(Sorry Tony to break in a little here....)

Kees, be sure that you wind for much more than 5 Henry.
I guess your reference is 600 ohm (divided by 2pi.F), but this way the transformer will have very little input signal capacity (saturation); go for something like 150H to present a ~ 20k AC load; that's doable on your core with thin wire.
(Sorry Tony to break in a little here....)

I have look here and see that 5 Henry is used there in a manufactored one, I do now output transformers for tube has high inductance like you mention, I think 150 H do not fit on that transformer.

Transformers for Audio

I think to start a new thread because we hijack Tony.