Tony's latest traffo DIY build

looking good.....

JlqIrYv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, the "recepie" man is back ;).

I have these two donator transformers both EI-96. The seemingly newer one claims to deliver 400VA and the other one I don't have any information about.
Would measuring the wire diameters give a clue of the VA or are there other aspects to consider? The stack of the newer one is 62mm and 50mm for the other. Both 0,35 mm laminates. Colourwise the newer is much darker and more brittle.

Could I mix laminates if they are of different permeability to even them out? This to make two equal transformers?

Regards

400VA out of a EI96 core? Seems a little bit optimistic. What's the stack height?

Best regards!

It's in the text 62mm... Super laminates arn't they :)

BTW, I started another thread about this some 20 min ago as it is more about what is proven possible without relying on trial and error or gut feel designing. The subject starts with EI-96...

Regards

Last edited:
It's in the text 62mm... Super laminates arn't they :)

BTW, I started another thread about this some 20 min ago as it is more about what is proven possible without relying on trial and error or gut feel designing. The subject starts with EI-96...

Regards

what is the thickness of the laminations?
1 1/4 stacked to 62mm is 320 volt amperes as per RDH4....
you can of course draw more but the results is a much hotter traffo...

Sir Tony i have found upon one of my Toroid trafo that i dismantled due to open secondary winding. I had found out that the wire used is enameled aluminum wire instead of copper wire.

How efficient are these compared to copper?

I had also other trafo from china that used aluminum wire.I had rewinded the trafo using same number of turns but uses copper and it still reads the same voltages as the aluminum.

JunM, those aluminum cored wires are now slowly getting available in manila, but i an not using those in my traffo, i would prefer pure copper....

but so you know, the technique have been used for a at least 50 years now in our very high voltage transmission lines, ACSR, aluminum cable steel reinforced......aluminum is also a good conductor and has lower weight than copper...

copper has a density of 0.33 lbs/cu inch, while aluminum 0.098 easily a three to one ratio...