Tony's latest traffo DIY build

hi tony,
nice work tony for ur post 178.

i need a transformer for 3000w amp, so, for one channel 1500w ,secondary voltage is 50ac-100ac-0-50ac-100ac class h, what are the specs u recommend?
how many ampere transformer need for one channel?
1-core size?
2-core stack?
3-wire gauges, primary and secondary?
4-total weight?

i am not going to wind this transformer, here in shops there have winding peoples, so i can check whether there winding with ur specs, then i can give to wind to them.

thanks.

Sir Tony, with this flangeless former like this, I wondered how to wind the wire not slip out of the edge. Could you tell me how? Thank you, sir Tony.

it comes with practice and experience as you wind a lot of traffos, you will learn it by doing.....tapes can help at the beginning, then as you gain experience you will will learn to do it even without using tapes.....

Thank you for answer me!
In fact, I wound some power transformer already with the flangeless former and 0.05mm tracing paper for insulation. Because of the tracing paper is hard enough so the wire and layers are in very good order, tight and closely.
But when I trying to wind some audio output transformer, it requires a thinner insulation so I uses some paper for OPT (the provider said that Germany paper, very good for output transformer). The new paper is only .03mm thickness, very soft and leathery.
I used a flangeless former with 4mm margin each side, coat every done layer with varnish, and then insulate with the .03mm paper. Because the paper is so soft so I couldn't keep every layer with the same turn. The layers of wire built a pyramid because of the wire fall into the crevice of the previous layer.
7056519847_2445fa8e3d_c.jpg

I tried to keep wire lay exactly over the previos layer's wire but the first turn shall be slip down the previous layer.
7056519833_404470928f_c.jpg

So, I want to ask you a technique to wind the wire to lay exactly over the previous layer wire like this.
Please help me.
Thank you
(Hope you understand my poor english :()

Thank you for answer me!
In fact, I wound some power transformer already with the flangeless former and 0.05mm tracing paper for insulation. Because of the tracing paper is hard enough so the wire and layers are in very good order, tight and closely.
But when I trying to wind some audio output transformer, it requires a thinner insulation so I uses some paper for OPT (the provider said that Germany paper, very good for output transformer). The new paper is only .03mm thickness, very soft and leathery.
I used a flangeless former with 4mm margin each side, coat every done layer with varnish, and then insulate with the .03mm paper. Because the paper is so soft so I couldn't keep every layer with the same turn. The layers of wire built a pyramid because of the wire fall into the crevice of the previous layer.
7056519847_2445fa8e3d_c.jpg

I tried to keep wire lay exactly over the previos layer's wire but the first turn shall be slip down the previous layer.
7056519833_404470928f_c.jpg

So, I want to ask you a technique to wind the wire to lay exactly over the previous layer wire like this.
Please help me.
Thank you
(Hope you understand my poor english :()
Sir Tony, help me please. I am waiting :(

you do not need to apply too much pressure on the wire at the edge so that it does not fall off the edge, this is even easier with thin wires, as i said i use tapes to hold the edge......it takes practice and more practice....

for audio transformers, i use this 2mm wide masking tapes at the edges, i found this on a local hardware store recently and have used it since......

there is really no secret here, just plain hard work with your own hands....:D

Clamp a pair of temporary side panels to enable the windings to run right out to the edge.
Remember to allow a gap for insulation at the sides.

Instead of a clamp, it makes for easier winding if you, use a long bolt with a nut to hold the temporary sides in place.

this is actually a good advice........make the inter-layer insulation paper a bit wider so that is scrapes the side of the panels a bit....

this is what i do when not using nylon bobbins.....

i am building traffos for a 6C33 set tube amp that is capable of about 10watts into 8ohm loads....

SET tube amps demand a lot of power for a measly power output, here i am making a traffo of about 390watts

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

i use bobbin for 1.6 inch and 2 3/8 inch stack:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

filament winding terminations:

built-up traffo:

bamboo pegs at the 4 mounting holes, this lets the varnish go in between laminates.
here the traffo is hung out to dry for a day or so....

Hi Tony,

nice work, again!

What's the use of the three rolls on two axles that we see on this pic?

And what has happened to the layer we see on the following one?

Best regards!

Hi Kay Pirinha,

those rollers helps in tensioning a bit and straightening out kinks in the wire, i use them like that for smaller gauge wires, for larger gauges it is just a straight pass thru...

the creppe tape at the edge is used to avoid subsequent layers from falling onto the previous layer.....

hi tony,
i asked some questions before.
i found 2by2inch bobbin,but for 2inch bobbin the lamination is height (6inch height) for amp case it becomes to big.

can u tell me the lamination 4.5 inch height, what is the size of the bobbin?
i found 2 lamination materials, one is black, other one grey color.
lamination thick is near about 1mm.

for dual supply ,primary 235v-(30,60, 0 30,60ac secondary 10A) can u tell me what are the spec for this. primary winding turns, secondary turns and wire Gage, stack of laminations. for height 4.5 inch lamination.
pls reply asap.
thank u for Ur coperation

Last edited:
hi tony,
i asked some questions before.
i found 2by2inch bobbin,but for 2inch bobbin the lamination is height (6inch height) for amp case it becomes to big.

can u tell me the lamination 4.5 inch height, what is the size of the bobbin?
i found 2 lamination materials, one is black, other one grey color.
lamination thick is near about 1mm.

for dual supply, primary 235v-(30,60, 0 30,60ac secondary 10A) can u tell me what are the spec for this. primary winding turns, secondary turns and wire Gage, stack of laminations. for height 4.5 inch lamination.
pls reply asap.
thank u for Ur coperation

you need a bobbin sized for 1 3/4 centre leg stacked to 4 1/2.....
you can get around 1740 volt amperes out of this...
primary turns = 233 turns #16 AWG magnet wire
secondary turns @30volts = 30 turns #13 AWG magnet wire, 4 coils, two bifillar windings....
in my country, the standard is AWG, please take note of this as you may have a different one in yours...