Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2011, 01:49 PM   #61
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
jcatiwalaan,
if you are lucky,sir tony must be in pasig
otherwise he is in russia
or,,,,,,
you can follow his leads
do you have any rewinding experience before?

for a core 2in. center leg stacked to about 5.75inches you will need,

primary, 148 turns #13AWG copper wire,
secondary, 4coils quafillar wound 25turns #12AWG copper

note that i use american standard gauge, i know that in India, the British system is used, so make adjustment to suit your local conditions...

i based my computations on the assumption that you will be using the cheaper non grain oriented steel......
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 03:39 PM   #62
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
for a core 2in. center leg stacked to about 5.75inches you will need,

primary, 148 turns #13AWG copper wire,
secondary, 4coils quafillar wound 25turns #12AWG copper

note that i use american standard gauge, i know that in India, the British system is used, so make adjustment to suit your local conditions...

i based my computations on the assumption that you will be using the cheaper non grain oriented steel......
hi tony thank u for the reply.
i searched and i found 2 into 3inch bobbin maximum so is this ok for 20ampere if not is this suitable for 10ampere, then can u tell me what is the winding turns of this and the guage.
thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 11:05 PM   #63
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator
 
AJT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Palatiw, Pasig City
Quote:
How does one determine what flux the core can operate at? Steel looks like steel to me.
by the quality of the core on hand......

IME, there are 2 kinds, the GOSS steel will have a thickness of laminates at 0.35mm in general.....the non GOSS will have 0.5mm laminate thickness...

for the thin laminates i use 1T ~ 1.2T....
for the thick laminates i use 0.6T ~ 0.9T...


Quote:
How does flux affect that formula I quoted?
Finally how does one get from core flux & voltage to primary turns?
higher flux densities need fewer turns, so for a given winding space you can use fewer turns which allows you to use bigger sized wires and so therefore you can extract more power because losses will be lower....
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 11:08 PM   #64
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator
 
AJT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Palatiw, Pasig City
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcatiwalaan View Post
I need a power transformer for H900 80-40-0-40-80 V / 15A to 20A. Boss Tony, is it possible for you to make 2 units for me? How much will it cost? PM me pls..

Thanks and God Bless

regards,
John L.

you can reach me 628-2996......
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 11:10 PM   #65
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator
 
AJT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Palatiw, Pasig City
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazirdigi View Post
hi tony thank u for the reply.
i searched and i found 2 into 3inch bobbin maximum so is this ok for 20ampere if not is this suitable for 10ampere, then can u tell me what is the winding turns of this and the guage.
thanks.
that will work also.....i am curious to find out the quality of laminates you will use, what is the thickness?

if you can tell me we can make adjustments...
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 04:49 AM   #66
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
that will work also.....i am curious to find out the quality of laminates you will use, what is the thickness?

if you can tell me we can make adjustments...
i mean lamination thick am i right,
the thickness is 0.1mm.

thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 09:12 AM   #67
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Scottish Borders
If one winds on the primary, can one test the primary current vs supply voltage to check that there are sufficient turns on the transformer to avoid the knee showing the onset of core saturation?
__________________
regards Andrew T.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 10:07 AM   #68
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator
 
AJT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Palatiw, Pasig City
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazirdigi View Post
i mean lamination thick am i right,
the thickness is 0.1mm.

thanks.
are you sure? this is the first time i hear such material......do you have manufacturer's data sheets on your laminates?
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 10:10 AM   #69
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator
 
AJT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Palatiw, Pasig City
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
If one winds on the primary, can one test the primary current vs supply voltage to check that there are sufficient turns on the transformer to avoid the knee showing the onset of core saturation?
of course you can....in my designs i go for low magnetizing currents, that is why i go for low teslas....
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 10:47 AM   #70
Account disabled at member's request
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
are you sure? this is the first time i hear such material......do you have manufacturer's data sheets on your laminates?
0.1 mm is well known material; meant for 400 Hz applications (power supply for planes for instance where weight matters).
Not well suited for a 50/60 Hz power supply transformer because the max T at those frequencies will be very low.
However you might use it for a very good output transformer.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tony's 6LU8 push-pull power amp build AJT Tubes / Valves 22 23rd February 2013 06:21 AM
Trinium, my latest build Mark.Clappers Multi-Way 18 17th July 2012 07:07 PM
My latest CHR-70 build tresch Full Range 8 6th December 2011 12:34 AM
My Latest DIY Draft (Beta) Build - Resurrected Sansui AU-111 LinuksGuru Tubes / Valves 0 27th December 2010 10:59 PM
My latest build SS 23W smithy666 Subwoofers 6 14th April 2009 11:50 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:10 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2