Tony's latest traffo DIY build - Page 57 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2013, 10:27 PM   #561
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

your links returned this:

Quote:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /bulk/spreadsheets/tranformerdesign1.ods on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

you will be surprised at how the insulating varnish can get in between the laminations so that scratches are not an issue as far as i am concerned....
Old 27th November 2013, 04:11 AM   #562
diyAudio Member

retarded default file permissions in ubuntu 13 to blame. i also removed the space in the filename from the chokecalculator file.

and yes, i'm supprised at just how thin the varnish is.
btw, there isn't supposed to be any. the oxide coating from the factory is engineered to provide the optimum amount of insulation without reducing the stacking factor from the .98 it should be down to .90
Old 27th November 2013, 05:28 AM   #563
diyAudio Moderator

that is one reason why we put in the space factor, there are always gaps no matter no matter how thight you squeeze the laminates together...

btw, i use wooden Popsicle sticks to wedge in between bobbin and core to reduce vibrations and humming....
Old 2nd December 2013, 02:53 AM   #564
kbeist is offline kbeist  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT View Post
magnetizing current is inversely proportional to mean magnetic path lenght...https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=m...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

so that non scrapless laminates can have smaller or larger depending on actual dimensions for same size center leg...
Thank you Tony, that was excellent for me to reference. By doing a bit more searching, I was able to pin down as to why my calculations, although correct were 30% off. Which leads to the reason you and as well as others have used.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT View Post
chapter 5 of RDH4, page 235 (http://www.ax84.com/static/rdh4/chapte05.pdf) gives the formula that i use in my designs and builds,

VA = (A*5.58)^2 volt-amperes
where A is the area under the core in square inches
Thus simplifying the formulas to ensure a cool/stress free design in most if not all builds. I would further add to the fact that my calculations using my 'experimental base' transformer were aproximately 30% on the low side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johansen View Post
so, really, all this wasted time of calculating from archaic formulas is really just.. meh, do i want a 30C temperature rise or 120? can i sell the completed transformer for 6 dollars a pound or 30?
As I would presume my example transformer although runs relatively warm loaded to 25% and would most likely run much warmer under heavier loading. And most likely hot being loaded to 80% or more. Confirming that manufactures do what they can to get more bang for the $$. Thank you Tony and johansen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johansen View Post
I would like to get my spreadsheet to output a graph of efficiency vs load for various flux densities.
Load being a static value steped through multiple B table with multiple efficiency outputs? Would you have the load as a % of max loading, or would you have it as a static integer?
Old 2nd December 2013, 03:02 AM   #565
diyAudio Moderator

as you gain more experience and confidence to build traffos, you will know what works and by how much and then making choices will be easy...

the formula given in RDH4 is not written in stone....to me it is a starting point....a more or less thing.....
Old 27th December 2013, 02:05 AM   #566
diyAudio Moderator

been busy winding traffos for upcoming EL34 parallel pp amp build...

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 28th December 2013, 09:04 AM   #567
diyAudio Member

what are the little uns for ?
Old 28th December 2013, 10:23 AM   #568
diyAudio Moderator

chokes....
Old 7th March 2014, 06:33 PM   #569
diyAudio Member

AJT Where do you get youe E-I cores from?
Old 7th March 2014, 10:22 PM   #570
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Enigma View Post
AJT Where do you get youe E-I cores from?

from a local vendor, Z11 and M18 cores both 0.35mm thick,
some from metal recycle's, these cores are 0.5mm thick,

Hide this!Advertise here!