Tony's latest traffo DIY build - Page 32 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2012, 07:53 AM   #311
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

from the net, they are from china, materials available for sale in Manila are all imported from china....
Old 5th September 2012, 08:19 AM   #312
ISTPYRO is offline ISTPYRO  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Amazing work Tony. Can I ask you something? Your winding machine is manual, right? So, with one hand you give hand crank and with the other you do tension?

Another thing that I want to ask, but I did it before, and I'll ask again because no one answered exactly to my question, but now in other words.

@Tony or anyone else, when winding the trafo, if the turns, for example, of the primary finish at the middle of the bobbin/former, what you do? Recalculate the wire size in order to give more adequate fitting to the bobbin?
Old 5th September 2012, 08:32 AM   #313
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISTPYRO View Post
Amazing work Tony. Can I ask you something? Your winding machine is manual, right? So, with one hand you give hand crank and with the other you do tension?
yes, i had a wooden pulley made which i use to turn the bobbin when winding, my wife assist me in this instance with the wire feeding these big diameter wires....at other times i do it alone....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISTPYRO View Post
Another thing that I want to ask, but I did it before, and I'll ask again because no one answered exactly to my question, but now in other words.

@Tony or anyone else, when winding the trafo, if the turns, for example, of the primary finish at the middle of the bobbin/former, what you do? Recalculate the wire size in order to give more adequate fitting to the bobbin?
yes, that happens a lot of times, you have 3 choices, first is just go with it, the space can be used for auxilliary windings......second is just fill up the layer and recompute the secondary windings, you can do this when unsure about the quality of your core material.....third is to forgo and use the last filled up layer and then recompute for the secondary turns based on actual primary winding, this can be done if your core material is good quality like M6 goss steel.....

i hope this answers your question....
Old 5th September 2012, 08:50 AM   #314
ISTPYRO is offline ISTPYRO  Portugal
diyAudio Member

The First I got it. The Second, what you mean is to fill up, with extra turns, the remaining layer (starting from where the turns have stopped) and then recompute the secondary windings and the Third, is almost the contrary, meaning, instead of filling up with extra turns, we remove the turns that have finished at the middle of the bobbin/former, in order to use only the turns that have filled the last layer. Then recompute again the secondary turns?

Is that it?

I am sorry for repeating, but is to be sure!

Kind regards.
Old 5th September 2012, 08:59 AM   #315
diyAudio Moderator

you got it....
Old 5th September 2012, 07:19 PM   #316
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
you got it....
So that was about mains transformer ( with CRGO) and not ferrite transformer. am I right?

To my knowledge, with ferrite core transformers number of turns and inductance are kept unchanged. But multiple primary are used for better coupling and getting leakage inductance low. pl. correct me if not so.
Old 5th September 2012, 10:20 PM   #317
diyAudio Moderator

yes...

i am not familiar with ferite core traffos so i am not able to comment...
Old 6th September 2012, 12:58 AM   #318
totski is offline totski  Philippines
diyAudio Member

sir tony,i read your thread and interest me very much but for now im not ready to diy a transformer can u send me your email add? here is mine, cerdenia.luisito at yahoo dot com thank's, more power.

Last edited by AJT; 6th September 2012 at 01:55 AM. Reason: email address edited to prevent spamming
Old 6th September 2012, 04:34 PM   #319
diyAudio Member

hi istpyro and tony,
this is how i wind with the drill machine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04397 copy.jpg (174.9 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04398 copy.jpg (118.7 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04399 copy.jpg (135.2 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04400 copy.jpg (140.8 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04401 copy.jpg (136.3 KB, 236 views)
Old 6th September 2012, 06:25 PM   #320
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazirdigi View Post
hi istpyro and tony,
this is how i wind with the drill machine.
looks nice , do u have turn counter too ?

Hide this!Advertise here!