Single 12v and +-12v needed, What options?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You definitely need some filtering after the convertor. There are many options. An R/C/R/C can work well. Every implementation is unique depending on what device you use. You always need to confirm with real measurements on a scope

Thanks Mooly..
I am also looking to use laptop power supply to power both main amp (19.5v and works well with SNMPS) and pre amp (+/- 9 to 10v , needs better low noise power supply). So the way forward is only to analysis the output in a oscilloscope to decide on the type of filter to be used.
In general what would be level of nose or switching ripple after filtering would be ok for a audio preamplifier?

thanks and regards
S Sarath

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Noise should always be as low as possible, and that's not easy with SMPS supplies. There are no hard a fast rules. If I said 10mv pk/pk someone else will say its to high and should be nearer 1mv... and so it goes on. For test purposes I've used pretty noisy supplies for opamp circuitry and not heard any ill effects in the overall result.

Grounding and layout become hugely important where there is lots of high frequency energy and charging pulses flying around. And shunt regulators are probably the best option too, even if its just a simple zener arrangement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.