diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Power Supplies (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/)
-   -   Low Noise Linear regulator power supply (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/190742-low-noise-linear-regulator-power-supply.html)

leonm12 13th June 2011 07:12 AM

Low Noise Linear regulator power supply

Hello

I am looking for 5V 0.4A Linear regulator for car enviorment

the regulator should accept 13-14 (varliable -car electric system) and provide clean 5V with very low noise/ripple

the power supply is for USB to S/PDIF converter
for more information please look at the following link, which describe power supply for home similar to what I need in car:

USB Low Noise Power supply, low noise power supply, audiophile power supply, usb dac power supply

Thanks

sofaspud 13th June 2011 07:22 AM

Are you planning to build it or buy it?

leonm12 13th June 2011 07:27 AM

I preffer to buy one, becuase I don't have experience of building electronic circuits
but I none exsist for my specific requirments I will build or pay some professional to build for me

sofaspud 13th June 2011 08:17 AM

No ripple to worry about, clean depends on installation as much as anything, likewise noise - it shouldn't be a problem unless the vehicle has it's own issues or the driver likes to leave the blinker on. :)
I Googled "car dc converter -inverter +regulated". I don't know where you are, but the Coby CA709 IC Regulated 800mA Universal DC Car Converter is available from the world's largest retailer.

leonm12 13th June 2011 08:39 AM

this is simple switching power supply and not linear power supply
it probably have ripple and noise

I need something equal to the supply I post in the link above
that fit to car elecrical system

Thanks

sofaspud 13th June 2011 09:10 AM

Quote:

this is simple switching power supply and not linear power supply
Well, it actually isn't switch-mode. Switch-mode would be more complex than is remotely necessary. This thing is just dropping volts.
Quote:

I need something equal to the supply I post in the link above
An audiophile DC-DC converter? Sorry, I don't know of any.

AndrewT 13th June 2011 09:50 AM

DC-DC converter = voltage regulator.

leonm12 13th June 2011 10:19 AM

anyone can recommend of device meet this specification?

agdr 13th June 2011 10:27 AM

I've read about that AQVOX adapter before and haven't seen anything like it for cars.

But... you could use a 12vdc to 120vac auto inverter

Walmart.com: DP Audio Video, Car Power Inverter: Auto Electronics

then plug the AQVOX into that to take it back down to 5vdc. :D The AQVOX seems to be well filtered so it should get rid of any noise from the inverter.

Like Andrew says technically all you need is a LM7805 regulator IC with a filter circuit in front of it. But if you are not into building circuits then the above would do the job.

leonm12 13th June 2011 12:44 PM

can you recommend me of such regulator?