RC snubbers for diode recovery noise - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2013, 02:37 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

The reservoir capacitor will appear as a low impedance to any high frequency, The transformer will appear as a high impedance so most of the high frequency will appear across the transformer. What you choose to do about this depends on what you are trying to achieve. Placing a snubber across the transformer secondary will reduce the amount of high frequency that the transformer sees. Hagerman may have had a reason to reduce the high frequency the power transformer might see. Placing a snubber in parallel with the diodes will keep any high frequency local to the diodes.
Old 31st March 2013, 10:14 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Some interesting findings, now that I found some time to work with PSpice.

I simulated the exact circuit that Hagerman did, using the same model he used for the 1N4007. To cut the story short, this is the circuit I used:

Hagerman method.JPG

So, firstly, I specified the diode's recovery time as 7.2us. This is what I got at the point where I put the probe:

1N4007 7.2us.PNG

After that, I left the 1N4007 PSpice model the same, except for changing the recovery time to 750ns (making it shorter). The result:

1N4007 750ns.PNG

And, up to 75ns:

1N4007 75ns.PNG

75ns is the typical value of a UF4007 diode, according to datasheets. So, this gives credit to anyone that just pays for some better diodes and does not bother with snubbers.

Anyway, these are simulation findings - what remains to be seen, is whether we can also get experimental evidence of these facts.
Old 31st March 2013, 04:49 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiostrat View Post
I simulated the exact circuit that Hagerman did
If you want to see the LC circuit's oscillatory ringing, you've got to give it a stimulus. The standard analogy is a bell: you've got to smack the bell with a mallet, to make it ring.

In this case, (L = transformer secondary leakage inductance), (C= transformer secondary capacitance + rectifier capacitance), and the stimulus is a large dI/dt. To get a large dI/dt, increase the filter capacitance to narrow the current pulse, and decrease the load resistance to make the current pulse taller. Voila, large dI/dt.

I simulated this in LTSPICE using the Vishay Semiconductor Ultrafast rectifier "UF4007" spice model, schematic below. As you can see, I was able to get oscillatory ringing. Also as you can see, Hagerman's proposed snubber resistance (470 ohms) damped the ringing perfectly.

Conclusion: Un-snubbed transformer secondaries CAN oscillate, even with UltraFast rectifiers.

Attached Images
File Type: png schem.png (8.3 KB, 383 views)
File Type: png nosnnub.png (25.1 KB, 376 views)
File Type: png yessnub.png (22.6 KB, 374 views)
Old 31st March 2013, 05:11 PM   #34
Magz is offline Magz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by transistormarkj View Post
If you want to see the LC circuit's oscillatory ringing, you've got to give it a stimulus. The standard analogy is a bell: you've got to smack the bell with a mallet, to make it ring.

In this case, (L = transformer secondary leakage inductance), (C= transformer secondary capacitance + rectifier capacitance), and the stimulus is a large dI/dt. To get a large dI/dt, increase the filter capacitance to narrow the current pulse, and decrease the load resistance to make the current pulse taller. Voila, large dI/dt.

I simulated this in LTSPICE using the Vishay Semiconductor Ultrafast rectifier "UF4007" spice model, schematic below. As you can see, I was able to get oscillatory ringing. Also as you can see, Hagerman's proposed snubber resistance (470 ohms) damped the ringing perfectly.

Conclusion: Un-snubbed transformer secondaries CAN oscillate, even with UltraFast rectifiers.

Hmmm. Sounds like another plus for choke input supplies. Much lower dI/dt, so they are less likely to induce ringing.
Old 31st March 2013, 05:17 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Hey Mark,

How does .022uF and 330ohm look in that sim? I've been using that as my default snubber and it seems to work quite well.
Old 31st March 2013, 06:15 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Member I_will_run_spice_for_you might volunteer to perform that simulation, or you could run it yourself. A third option, and the one that I prefer myself, is to agree with Hagerman that this is a classical second order system with damping factor Zeta (wikipedia). Then all you need to do is calculate the Zeta of the parallel RLC circuit, whose R=330, L=1.33E-4, C=5.5E-10.

It's the 2nd boxed equation on Hagerman's page 4:
  • Rsnub = (1/(2*Zeta))*sqrt(L/C)

which yields, after rearrangement, Zeta = (1/(2*Rsnub))*sqrt(L/C) . Plugging in the numbers for this particular transformer & rectifier, we get Zeta ~ 0.73 . Would a waveform with damping factor 0.73 please you?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf second_order_systems.pdf (272.6 KB, 68 views)
Old 31st March 2013, 06:24 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Member I_will_run_spice_for_you might volunteer to perform that simulation, or you could run it yourself. A third option, and the one that I prefer myself, is to agree with Hagerman that this is a classical second order system with damping factor Zeta (wikipedia). Then all you need to do is calculate the Zeta of the parallel RLC circuit, whose R=330, L=1.33E-4, C=5.5E-10.

It's the 2nd boxed equation on Hagerman's page 4:
  • Rsnub = (1/(2*Zeta))*sqrt(L/C)

which yields, after rearrangement, Zeta = (1/(2*Rsnub))*sqrt(L/C) . Plugging in the numbers for this particular transformer & rectifier, we get Zeta ~ 0.73 . Would a waveform with damping factor 0.73 please you?
Thanks for nothing.

I am perfectly capable of running a spice sim, but being on the road and not having my computer with me I thought you could plug the numbers into the sim you've already run.

Forget it. Happy Easter.
Old 31st March 2013, 09:44 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I could not agree more. Still, please observe my point: I said that better diodes can ameliorate the situation, not extinguish the problem completely. Sorry if I did not make that clear.

But what your simulation does show to me, is that for relatively normal load requirements, a good diode could eliminate unwanted interference. Given the numbers for leakage and parasitic capacitance are logical, of course.

For example, I am planning to build a bridge with an input cap of 4700u, giving roughly 200mA at 14-15V - a 76 ohm load. Seems like a UF4002 could be sufficient for this.

I just wanted to make this clear - to myself, too - since leakage and stray capacitance could be hard to find, given a possible lack of appropriate equipment. Or just an unnecessary pain, for a normal load condition.

I did not have time to play with values, like you did, and I was planning to do so. Thank you for this information! Maybe I will give it a try, too.

It would be interesting to test some bad but possibly real values for leakage and stray capacitance, and observe whether the design could be safe in theory for a maximum load and reservoir capacitance, when using fast diodes. Maybe I will give it some time, should I have it.
Old 31st March 2013, 11:08 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Hi Magz, Happy Easter to you as well. I hope you had a chance to look at that .pdf file, especially Figure 6 on page 8. It shows damped oscillatory ringing for several different choices of the damping factor Zeta.

(Your snubber) plus (Hagerman's transformer) plus (UF4007 rectifier) gives a Zeta of 0.73 -- which, looking at this set of curves, appears to produce a very pleasant waveform indeed. Although Hagerman advocates Zeta=0.5, plenty of 2nd order systems are designed and built and put into the field with Zeta=0.717 (sqrt_0.5), and lots of other second order systems are shipped with Zeta=1.0. I myself have shipped millions of phase locked loops having 0.8 < Zeta < 1.2, and they work perfectly well out in the real world.
Attached Images
File Type: png fig6.png (15.6 KB, 326 views)
Old 31st March 2013, 11:20 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Be careful with simulations, I ran this as is with a 1n4007 and got a ring on diode turn off, the set the filter capacitor for a ESR of 0.1 ohms typical for a 1000uF electro and the ringing almost disappeared. Then I changed the transformer leakage inductance to 900uH which is bit low for a transformer with 0.5 Ohm effective resistance and the ringing came back bigger than ever. I have never observed ringing like this with real circuits, there are probably more loss mechanisms in the actual system than are accounted for in the simulation.

Hide this!Advertise here!