Radio Spares 10,000uf polarity markings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Luke
No there is nothing that identifies polarity other than a number sequence 1,2,3,4. I suspect Radio Spares originally sold these with a connection information sheet. I will try 5v DC current limited to 5ma , and see which terminals hold a charge.

Thanks for your interest
Cheers / Chris

Hi Luke
No there is nothing that identifies polarity other than a number sequence 1,2,3,4. I suspect Radio Spares originally sold these with a connection information sheet. I will try 5v DC current limited to 5ma , and see which terminals hold a charge.

Thanks for your interest
Cheers / Chris

Not always a valid way of testing them as some electrolytics can hold a small reverse charge.

Try connecting a current limited supply and see which terminals slowly build up a voltage whilst reducing the current that is being drawn.

If they are old then I would dispose of them anyway.
Cricklewood Electronics sell them new for £3-50 each.
I don't think so: large, unused caps tend to stay good for ever (I still have 22,000µ/70V Sprague's of the early seventies that are as good as new).
Some minutes reforming, and on they go....

I don't think modern ultra high density types would fare as well after 40y+ storage.

Let's meet in 2050 to check!

I have heard back from Radio Spares they inform:

"Hello Chris Terminal is +ve and terminals 2,3 and 4 may be at negative
terminal
potential due to the presence of electrolyte. They are
intended for mechanical connections only. It is
recommended that they are soldered to the printed board

and picture of the capacitor:

Thank you to everyone who helped.

Cheers / Chris

Attachments

• 2011-06-03-121606.jpg
    2011-06-03-121606.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 68
I don't think so: large, unused caps tend to stay good for ever (I still have 22,000µ/70V Sprague's of the early seventies that are as good as new).
Some minutes reforming, and on they go....

I don't think modern ultra high density types would fare as well after 40y+ storage.

Let's meet in 2050 to check!

Ive got some large cans from the 80's that I have reformed. Whilst they hold a charge, some loose voltage sooner than others. I expect that a new one would perform alot better than a 30yo cap.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.