Line voltage selector Revox B750 MK II blew up

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I thinks this fits in the power supply forum.
I was listening to my Revox B750 when I suddenly saw smoke, lots of smoke!
I instantly turned the amp off and pulled the plug out. We were afraid that the whole thing was on fire because of the smoke (the room was really full of it).
The smell of the smoke was really bad, my first tought was that a big cap blew.
After opening some windows, I opened the amp.
I could see the problem in an instant.

if25n5.jpg

It has something to do with the voltage line selector.
Right now the selector is set to 240VAC (Belgium => 240VAC, 50Hz)

As you can see this 'thing' has caugt fire, the only thing I read on it was

"250V, fo 9MHz"

What is this component?

Also: the fuse is not blown and the music kept playing when smoke was coming out.

Looks like a noise suppression capacitor, X or Y type.
The dielectric got compromised, just snip the leads and remove it.

If you really want, replace it with the proper type, around 100nF (try to see the rating of the original one). Type X if it does not go to ground (most likely). Type Y if it does.

If you really want, replace it with the proper type, around 100nF (try to see the rating of the original one). Type X if it does not go to ground (most likely). Type Y if it does.

Will a WIMA MKP capacitor do the job?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I've used them in some amps, they are alot smaller than the cap I blew.
I've got my hands on the schematic of this amp. Maybe this could say what value it was.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.