Dual polarity power supply with a single secondary transformer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One thing that might be a problem with that circuit is that with low load current, the output voltages can rise up to double the normal value.
Yes I know.

In fact, this version is not the raw circuit I initially came up with.

After some thinking, clean-up and optimization, I arrived at the conclusion that I could spare two bulky mylar caps by using implicit capacitive dividers, but at the cost of a doubled no-load voltage.

In general, it shouldn't be a problem, but here is the non-abridged version, for cases when the light or no load condition has to be taken into account.
With 4 big caps, it isn't very attractive from a practical point of view.

Attachments

• VirtualCTap3.GIF
    VirtualCTap3.GIF
    57.2 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
Elvee, is it possible and safe to lower costs and decrease bulk by using series pairs 47uF electrolytic caps (23.5uF bipolar) instead of the 22uF polyester caps??
I am afraid that is a step too far: a high quality bipolar for crossovers might survive that kind of outrage, but two standards elco's back to back certainly won't....
It will end with a double bang....

5619660342_6dc9a5697e_b.jpg

this is wrong, the safety earth that connects to the chassis metal work has
nothing to do with the psu common or zero reference....

the safety earth is to protect the user from electrocution should
there be massive earth leakage due to component breakdowns...

if you want to get dual polarity supplies out of a single secondary winding then this is what you need...

images

to get dual polarities out of this, make the junction of transformer lead B, C1 and C2
your 0 volt reference and take output voltages at the other ends of C1 an C2......
the circuit shown is a full wave voltage doubler type so transformer utilization will still be quite good...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.