earth grounding questions when using shielded cat5 & neutrikplugs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi fellow Diyers,

I have a question about earth grounding my system.

-All signal grounds are floating in each cabinet and star connected in the pre-amp. At that starpoint is a connection with the mains earth through an isolator.(2 diodes/ R & C)

-Each cabinet is connected to mains earth at my UPS in starconnection.

I realized that I have 2 shielded Neutrik cables go from one chassis to another chassis, both are on each side connected to the chassis and therefore connected with the mains earth, cousing a loop. Not only between them but also with the earth. The lenght of both cables is just 40cm.
Do I have to cut both cables shields at one end ?

The same thing with my cat5 shielded cable, I can connect both shield-ends to the 2 chassis. Should I just connect one end of the cable to earth to prevent a groundloop ?

This is not a signalgroundloop, but it doesn't look healthy to me.

Anyone who can help me in the neverending story of grounding ?

Last edited:
Hi Kevin, I googled on PEC and found a lot of info about old and new ways of earthing equipment. It looks like I can(must) earth both ends, but I need to add a PEC between the cases to minimize the earthloop. Hmm, maybe not in the case where I use already 2 Neutrik cables only with the single cat 5.

Thanks for getting me on the right path :)

Bonding Cable Shields at Both Ends to Reduce Noise

Designing for Interference-free Audio System Components

http://www.vanderheide.nl/documents...5-5766f598faa8/CmsHandlerDocumentHandler.ashx

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.