Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th April 2011, 02:55 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Th3 uN1Qu3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzony988 View Post
One more question, how can i calculate disipation of mosfet drivers. whether there will be enough that little heatsink from PC smps without coler in amplifier case?
For a MOSFET dissipation is primary RMS current over RDS(on). Since there are two switches in a half bridge, you divide the value you got by two to get dissipation in each MOSFET. But, MOSFET RDS(on) is temperature dependent, so you should follow the datasheet graphs to find on resistance at the expected operating temperature. Btw, you have three major wrongs in your schematic.

1. The whole point of half/full bridge is full wave rectification, so why are you hooking up only half the transformer secondary? And you only need two diodes (or one double diode) per output. That's why you have a center tapped transformer.
2. No output inductor. High ripple and premature failure of the capacitors will be the result. Rod Elliot may be a good audio engineer but he certainly has no clue about switching power supplies.
3. No provision for regulation. Not only does the lack of regulation make a huge difference between idle and load voltages (SMPS transformers by themselves regulate a lot poorer than mains transformers), but it also forces you to use very large primary capacitors because all the mains frequency ripple will get thru.

For protection, you have that shutdown pin. How to use it is your business. As far as i can see the IR2153 does NOT support regulation. I'd just use a TL494 if i were you.

Next question would be how to calculate primary RMS current i suppose? You should really go read some books. I recommend "Switching Power Supply Design Third Edition" as the best starter book. It doesn't explain everything and has a habit of sending you back half the book to find a formula, but it's easy to understand.

PS. What layout software did you use? It looks neat.
Old 11th April 2011, 04:19 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Th3 uN1Qu3
Here's one trick that will help you on your quest. Hook both transformer secondaries in parallel. Center tap and everything. Now, both rails will track each other perfectly.

But how to get positive/negative voltage with both windings in parallel you may ask? It might not be immediately obvious but check the attachment. The downside is that you're going to need diodes wired "the other way round" (common anode) for the negative rail. So, you'll have to use your double diodes as single ones. But i'm sure you have enough of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg halfbridge_split.jpg (68.4 KB, 1320 views)
Old 11th April 2011, 01:21 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I finished pcb, but i cant find IR2153, in electronic store in my city it will be about mount. Can I use IR2151, that i can find right now.

For pcb i use PCB wizard. If this SMPS works I will add protection and some others thinks, to be nice for amps.
Old 12th April 2011, 02:53 PM   #14
AP2 is online now AP2  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi,
to have no problems, I advise you IR21531D, Also simplifies circuit because it has the bootstrap diode included.
The main reason is that this chip has been upgraded compared to the IR2151.
particularly in the boot sequence.

Regards
Old 12th April 2011, 04:10 PM   #15
authlxl is offline authlxl  China
SINEWAVE ELECTRONICS CO.,LTD
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to authlxl
one suggestion,pls add soft start circuit for IR2153,this chip have not design soft start function ,maybe sometime cause hysteresis loop unilateral saturated.another choose is TL494 OR SG3525,SS function inside.

The reference using is YAMAHA 1000W powered mixer,works stable. but i forget the product type name.

Pass by this place,Only for reference.
Old 13th April 2011, 12:08 PM   #16
Banned

Exclamation Current Sense

You will face serious problems into designing a proper Over Current protection circuit for IR2153D.

I advice you to use SG3525

Either in the YAMAHA mixers, same issue, one short circuit at the output of the SMPS, then Good Bye!
Old 13th April 2011, 12:18 PM   #17
authlxl is offline authlxl  China
SINEWAVE ELECTRONICS CO.,LTD
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to authlxl
I think you are right indeed.
Old 13th April 2011, 12:56 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hi,
certainly is not easy to develop effective protection for the 21531.
But since they wanted to use the 2151.
TL494 is good, Also you can add a driver eg. IR21xx or a transformer to drive the mosfet.

however I've solved the problem at the start of 21531. in the presence of a short circuit or high absorption. I enclose a pic just for curiosity. worked from 2002 until 2007 without problem in class H amps.
I think it works better, less RFI / EMI of some unregulated on the market.
somewhere in this forum I already put the diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IR21531-700w.jpg (59.6 KB, 1256 views)
Old 13th April 2011, 08:07 PM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP2 View Post
Hi,
certainly is not easy to develop effective protection for the 21531.
But since they wanted to use the 2151.
TL494 is good, Also you can add a driver eg. IR21xx or a transformer to drive the mosfet.

however I've solved the problem at the start of 21531. in the presence of a short circuit or high absorption. I enclose a pic just for curiosity. worked from 2002 until 2007 without problem in class H amps.
I think it works better, less RFI / EMI of some unregulated on the market.
somewhere in this forum I already put the diagram.

IR2153D has several issues, beside start up and current protection

Lets see some videos of your SMPS, while you are shoring the Output?
or applying 290VAC at the input?

What will happen?
Old 13th April 2011, 09:04 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hi,
think the problem is focused on the current protection (especially during startup), not what happens when the VAC is 290. this can be solved in various ways, depending on how much to cost the psu. (this uses a varistor)
When I developed this smps, the company has asked two key parameters. compact low cost of production, big pulse current output, robust and reliable if they skip the mosfet amplifier.
This psu is very simple but has everything you need (I have not saved anything).
All outputs in the L-C filter.
well, how to solve that ir21531 have high UVLO and then, drives the mosfet already at full power? (IR21531 has no control DT Pin)
Then, becouse IR215xx is based on the 555, I can vary the duty cycle by varying the threshold on CX Pin. one BC337 and a few components involved in this function. Simple! at start, half bridge is unbalanced at low side, back slowly balanced if the output is free (not short out or over load) startup time 2 Sec.
Current protection out of startup, is very simple.
All you can fix , if you have experience, I think.
I have no time for a video but I assure you that thousands have worked for five years and has never exploded. (amps.. yes)
This PSU, current are out of production.
Regards

Hide this!Advertise here!