Can you make an amp power supply out of a car radio vibrator? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2011, 12:24 AM   #1
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Can you make an amp power supply out of a car radio vibrator?

Just curious if you could use a 12V negative ground solid state radio vibrator to build a power supply for a car amplifier. It seems like it would be an easy way to pump up voltage and create a dual rail voltage.

How many amps can one of these things pass?
Old 4th April 2011, 01:20 AM   #2
ywara is offline ywara  United States
diyAudio Member

It's probably possible, but vibrators are basically obsolete after the advent of the IC. You could use anything from a simple 555-based circuit to one of LT's advanced switcher-controllers to do the same thing better.

I suspect the current capability is governed by the output transformer and the transistors, though I doubt you'll find these numbers published.
Old 4th April 2011, 02:16 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I think, a "solid state vibrator" is a shunt regulator, may be a 6 volt zener diode and a resistor.
Wire it on a 12v supply as in a car to see what it outputs.
Old 4th April 2011, 02:30 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

well I found some at antique Antique Electronic Supply that look like they might work well but I need some more info.
Old 4th April 2011, 02:42 AM   #5
ywara is offline ywara  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchambin View Post
I think, a "solid state vibrator"; is a shunt regulator, may be a 6 volt zener diode and a resistor.
Wire it on a 12v supply as in a car to see what it outputs.
They actually produce AC for old tube radios.

These guys seem to be the only ones still making them. Information is basically nonexistent but it sounds like they can source a few amps each.
Old 4th April 2011, 03:01 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
Vibrator (electronic) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Vibrator Power Supplies
Servicing Vibrator Power Supplies
VIBRATOR POWER SUPPLY DESIGN
Old 4th April 2011, 05:55 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

My thoughts would be using this to switch DC to AC, sending it to a transformer and rectify the AC to DC. With the right transformer wouldn't that give me double rails? I might even get away with using a voltage doubler instead of a transformer. I have to say though that when it comes to amps + PS design I am still a noob.
Old 4th April 2011, 11:55 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

As ywara points out, there are more efficient and durable ways of achieving this. Note that a vibrator is inherently prone to mechanical failure in the long term.
Old 4th April 2011, 01:39 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywara View Post
They actually produce AC for old tube radios.

These guys seem to be the only ones still making them. Information is basically nonexistent but it sounds like they can source a few amps each.
My answer was about the vibrator that was in the cluster intrument of the 1970 Volkswagens.
It was to stabilize the gaz gauge. Older VW vibrators were mechanical, then were replaced by solid state.

Another thing I had in the 60s was an inverter providing several DC outputs for military tube equipement.

Beware, it could be another vibro, too; Check where it is supposed to be plugged.

This inverter had a vibrator part to make square AC that was stepped up and down then rectified and filtered to give several DC outputs.
Old 4th April 2011, 02:54 PM   #10
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywara View Post
It's probably possible, but vibrators are basically obsolete after the advent of the IC. You could use anything from a simple 555-based circuit to one of LT's advanced switcher-controllers to do the same thing better.

I suspect the current capability is governed by the output transformer and the transistors, though I doubt you'll find these numbers published.
if you are talking about the LTC1970 and its ilk, to source and sink current or control the sourcing and sinking of current supplied by external fets; then yes, these things are the most excellent looking device for virtual ground single supply ccts and i would love to see someone use one for audio before i do

Hide this!Advertise here!