Using computer PSU with Arjen's Ta2024 mkII

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've read that it's not the best combination for quality sound, but I just want to know if it will work and if I risk damage. And I want to avoid pops.
I want this to integrate sound for my wife's computer.
I'll hook up the board to the computers 12v, probably inside the case. It will power on with the computer. Pretty simple.
The PSU is a 560W Enermax, and the computer isn't a lot of drain on it.
The speakers will be cheap KLH 8ohm connected to the board directly.
Thanks.
btw, I haven't ordered the board yet.

Will it cause damage? To the computer, if the power supply is crap. Enermax is a decent maker, but not all units are built equal you know.

I am however sure that you will get tons of noise in the amp. When you move the mouse, when you move a window, when there is HDD activity, depending on the colors of the web page you are visiting, depending on the program you are running, depending on CPU/GPU utilization... and so on.

This is unavoidable because:
1) a PC is a high noise environment which requires special filtering (and special filtering isn't feasible at this power level without dropping a lot of voltage) and
2) you are creating a ground loop when you are connecting the power supply ground and signal ground from the soundcard to the amplifier.

Depending on the sensitivity of the speakers and the distance from the listener this may or may not be a major issues. It will definitely be audible, but it may or may not be loud enough to be annoying.

Been there, done that.

You get to hear your hard drive every time it spins.

Arjen has a filter designed for this. He will Email it to you.
I've lost it. It doesn't always work because as pointed out, there are a lot of possible noise sources. But considering the number of 36w - 50w power supplies for ten bucks on Ebay; even 60w laptop style supplies,
It's probably easiest to spend the $10 I've heard those DC/DC boards (again $10) make a difference.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.