The Belleson Superpower, the ultimate voltage regulator ... ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

These are beautiful words but this is all true what it says on the site of Belleson?
Now we have no longer to look at other brands, or is this all marketing strategy ... or are they real good what it say on the site!

http://www.belleson.com/comparealw.php

The Belleson Superpower, the ultimate voltage regulator

· Superpower compared to a Battery
· Superpower compared to a Jung style super regulator
· Superpower compared to LM317
· Superpower compared to LM7812
· Superpower compared to Dexa NewClassD
· Superpower compared to Burson

The Belleson Superpower regulator, like Mr. Jung's design, uses the regulator's cleaned and quieted output voltage as the "bootstrapped" power source for its own internal reference and error amplifier. In addition,
· It is stable with the included 10µF output capacitance and remains stable with larger values.
· Output voltage is set with a single resistor.
· Superpower fits a 3 terminal regulator footprint and can bolt directly to a heat sink.
· Start-up is guaranteed—the expected output voltage is the only stable state.
· Gain/bandwidth of the internal amplifier is independent of output voltage.
· Drop-out voltage is as low as ½V at low current, less than 2V at currents to ½A for standard or 1A+ for the HV and J versions.
· Superpower performs better without a pre-regulator.
· There are no zener diodes.

Regards,
Rudy

Last edited:
I'm not convinced that this regulator is so wonderful. Its noise is specified at 28uVrms, higher than the LM317 value of 22uVrms and far higher than, say, a TeddyReg.

In the transient comparison with the LM317, no mention is made of the exact LM317 feedback configuration ("as in datasheet" could mean anything). And for the 1A transient a larger-than-standard output device is used! How about we just put multiple LM317s in parallel?

Overall, I anyhow think that the LM317 is very hard to beat, especially considering the price. I can get one from my local electronic parts shop around the corner for 1.25 Euros. For the money of a Belleson, you can put a lot of those in cascade and in parallel!

--
Greetz,
MatchASM

MatchASM said:
Overall, I anyhow think that the LM317 is very hard to beat, especially considering the price. I can get one from my local electronic parts shop around the corner for 1.25 Euros. For the money of a Belleson, you can put a lot of those in cascade and in parallel!

They can be much cheaper than 1,25€/pcs. 5,35€/20 pcs, delivered to your home adress. Original parts, not fake.
For 5€ you can buy decent opamp, pass transistor & LED's for voltage reference and make your own regulator, much better than '317.

For small quantity & DIY purposes, price is almost irrelevant. You want performance, not cheap BOM.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
LM317 is not hard to beat. A decent shunt reg will leave it in the dust. Implement the simple Salas v1.0 and then smile at the Belleson SUPERDUPER. DIY at its best. Mr. stormsonic knows what he's talking about, because he implemented quite a few regs :)

LM317 is not hard to beat. A decent shunt reg will leave it in the dust.

Except if it does not fit into the available space.

For a rather high price there are some compact integrated regs available, but your 15-component custom regulator will be bulky and a good reason to learn the art of casemodding.

BTW, I have near-to-no experience in custom shunt regulators; what output voltage noise is achievable for 100uA of bias current? (far lower than 22uV rms, I hope...)

--
Greetz,
MatchASM

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Right, size is what it is. Don't forget heat and power consumption; those are also excessive with a shunt reg. But hey, there's not replacement for displacement right? It's not for everyone, that's for sure. Some people are fine with Priuses :) That's the beauty of diy, everyone chooses whatever scratches their obsessive audio itch.

Tomorrow I'll run the LR and Z test on the Belleson.

OK -- here's the PSRR test of several regulators mentioned -- the Belleson is consistent, but hardly outstanding.

I used a Jensen 600:600 ohm transformer -- very flat from a few Hz to 200kHz -- it's the model AP uses in their PSRR test. The injected voltage was 1V RMS.

Attachments

• Belleson_LR.gif
    Belleson_LR.gif
    30.6 KB · Views: 2,221
you can get order of magnitude (10x) lower broadband noise (20Hz-20kHz) without big sweating. If you want to stick with LM317 and improve it, then invest 0,5€ for transistor, few resistors and cap and go to this excellent thread.

Thanks for the link; by coincidence I stumbled on that same schematic earlier today after some Googling (TM) [will always sound better than "Binging"...].

The 10x improvement refers to this circuit, no? It seems to me that, in general, the output voltage noise can be made arbitrarily low by putting zillions of voltage references in parallel. So really, the challenge lies in output voltage noise versus consumed bias current (which is what the Dieckmann circuit seems to do quite well).

Now that I think about it, 4kTR and 4kT/gm noise depend on temperature, so at some point it must make more sense to add a refrigerator rather than another million voltage references. I have not seen anybody do this, so I guess at some point even the most critical audiophile is happy with the remaining noise floor?

--
Greetz,
MatchASM

the Belleson is consistent, but hardly outstanding

Excellent work; thank you very much.

It seems from these plots that the teddyreg is the best performing candidate. I actually expected it to be much better than -100dB. Is there some X-talk between input and output (i.e., does better shielding help...)? I would be very interested in the addition of an LM317 preregulator configuration to the list of traces; when properly soldered, it should also be able to do -100dB.

--
Greetz,
MatchASM

The 10x improvement refers to this circuit, no?

No, it refers to Belleson.

It seems to me that, in general, the output voltage noise can be made arbitrarily low by putting zillions of voltage references in parallel.

No, you just need to filter out the noise of your single voltage reference. High frequency noise is easy to filter, much harder to filter out low frequency. I won't go into details, there are very detailed, great articles and examples on Walt Jung's website. A MUST read.

We have to fold this discussion into some SuperReg thread -- I got in some Jung-Didden boards a few weeks back but had run out of D44H11 transistors to solder them up -- would like to compare them to all the above. Jung used a somewhat different methodology for the Line Rejection test, so an apples to apples comparison requires that they all go on the same board of nails.

We have to fold this discussion into some SuperReg thread -- I got in some Jung-Didden boards a few weeks back but had run out of D44H11 transistors to solder them up -- would like to compare them to all the above. Jung used a somewhat different methodology for the Line Rejection test, so an apples to apples comparison requires that they all go on the same board of nails.

Hi jackinnj,

How do you think about to compare also the Sallas regulator, you find this tread here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/powe...listic-salas-low-voltage-shunt-regulator.html

Regards,
Rudy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.