The Belleson Superpower, the ultimate voltage regulator ... ? - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2011, 01:34 AM   #61
agdr is offline agdr  United States
diyAudio Member

Lol... where have I seen that before

LT1431 + DN2540N3 + D44H11 Dual Rail Reg

Yeah, I used an enhancement mode symbol since I had to add the depletion mosfet to LT Spice myself and was too lazy to create a new symbol, but notice the label - DN2540 - and the write-up. The TL1431 counts as reference + op amp.

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tl1431-ep.pdf

Mine is ground referenced though, not floating.

My post was just January of this year, so no prior art there on their years-old patent application.

So I would definitely give the Belleson two thumbs up!

Last edited by agdr; 22nd May 2011 at 01:51 AM.
Old 24th May 2011, 09:59 PM   #62
diyAudio Member

United States Patent 6,989,659
Menegoli , et al. January 24, 2006

Low dropout voltage regulator using a depletion pass transistor

Abstract
A linear low dropout voltage regulator is described that makes use of a depletion mode NMOS pass transistor and of a PMOS transistor in series to the NMOS transistor and connected to its drain. The depletion NMOS transistor assures low dropout operations, while the series PMOS transistor allows the current regulation even under the condition of shorted load. The same PMOS transistor may be used to disable the current in the load without generating a negative voltage at the gate of the depletion pass transistor. This regulator is inherently stable without the need for an output capacitor in parallel to the load.

AND

United States Patent 6,005,378
D'Angelo , et al. December 21, 1999

Compact low dropout voltage regulator using enhancement and depletion mode MOS transistors

Abstract
A low dropout (LDO) voltage regulator for generating a well-regulated voltage which is stable with variations in load resistance and in supply voltage includes a non-complex reference voltage generator. In the preferred embodiment, the reference voltage generator is configured to function as an amplifier as well as a reference voltage generator. In one embodiment, a single gain stage LDO voltage regulator utilizes the single function reference voltage generator which is compared to a feedback voltage that is proportional to an output voltage. The feedback voltage and the reference voltage control two currents which are used to generate a control signal to a pass transistor. Depending on the supply voltage, the pass transistor either increases or decreases the current to an output terminal to raise or lower the output voltage until the output voltage equals the regulated voltage. In another embodiment, a two gain stage LDO voltage regulator utilizes the dual function reference voltage generator. The two gain stage LDO voltage regulator compares a gained signal instead of the reference voltage with the feedback voltage to generate the control signal to the pass transistor.
Old 25th May 2011, 12:15 PM   #63
diyAudio Member

Yes, thank you, both of these patents were examined prior to submission of my application.
Old 25th May 2011, 04:48 PM   #64
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Just curious, what does it cost to file for a patent in the US? In Sweden it's pretty expensive and the commercial value is nothing.

Have you seen the tube super regulator from 1961?
Attached Images
File Type: gif tube_super_reg.gif (31.4 KB, 904 views)
Old 25th May 2011, 11:31 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

To file a US Patent application is a few hundred dollars. You can spend as much as you wish on attorneys of course :-). If granted, a patent gives you little more than a right to file law suits.

Mr. Pease's Electronic Design column on ripple rejection and the Philbrick 5910 was submitted as prior art with the patent app. I believe the first place I saw it was on your web site.
Old 26th May 2011, 12:37 AM   #66
diyAudio Member

Filing is inexpensive, getting it done with an attorney is something else. I spent $15k on a patent involving chemical coatings and a laser, and $35k on a patent involving a laser in a totally different application. That's just the US, the EU is a mess as far as I am concerned.
Old 26th May 2011, 04:15 AM   #67
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

I asked Bob Pease about some early super regulators and he dug this up and wrote an article about it.
Old 31st July 2011, 09:49 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
Just finished an external power supply for a Naim CD5x using the Bellson 24v super regs. Sounds good. No added noise. Musicians instruments sound larger and there is more information coming through. This is just after half hour of listening.
Old 18th February 2012, 11:31 PM   #69
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

This thread died kind of quick. If nothing else , some insight on actual performance of a number of regulators. I did not see any reference to the Liner Tech regulators. LT1963 etc. A bit more advanced than 317's. Where do we stand with "simple" regulators where space does not allow some of the more exotic designs? Has anyone done any measurements of amplifier performance with different regulators. Say the current hot National Op amp or some generic discrete buffer.

I would love to drop a pair of Bellseons in some of my stuff, but the price is about twice what I would put out without some much more convincing evidence of being a fully sufficient regulator. To put it into perspective, I recently picked up a Hafler 110 preamp for less than a pair of these.
Old 19th February 2012, 12:46 AM   #70
diyAudio Member

If hard up for cash, try the LT1963/LT3015 using the remote sensing schema. You won't be disappointed.

The Belleson tests quite nicely.

Hide this!Advertise here!