Toroid Transformer help? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2011, 12:48 PM   #1
DJK265 is offline DJK265  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Toroid Transformer help?

Hi all, I have a toroid w/ 2 primaries and secondaries are 49.5-24-0-24-49.5. There's no amp rating on it but the fuse was 3.2A, rectifier was 6A, not sure what that would mean. Could I desolder the 49.5 taps from ct for 4 smaller voltages? I don't see any polarity markings either, I'm not sure it matters. Any advice or help on using this for amp modules?

Thank you
Dan
Old 6th March 2011, 02:33 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Did I confuse anyone?

Am I in the wrong forum? If so, could someone point me to the correct one?

Thanks
Old 6th March 2011, 08:27 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Don't worry, you are in the right forum .

Depending on the size of the transformer, I'd imagine that the 49.5V taps are probably the higher current taps out of the two and the 24V are for powering auxiliary circuitry that only requires little current and needs to be stepped down with voltage regulators. This is only my assumption.

It would be helpful if you could take a picture of the transformer and upload it here and take a picture of any labels that are on the transformer. Also, it would help to know what the transformer came from in the first place.
Old 7th March 2011, 02:07 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackand08 View Post
Don't worry, you are in the right forum .

Depending on the size of the transformer, I'd imagine that the 49.5V taps are probably the higher current taps out of the two and the 24V are for powering auxiliary circuitry that only requires little current and needs to be stepped down with voltage regulators. This is only my assumption.

It would be helpful if you could take a picture of the transformer and upload it here and take a picture of any labels that are on the transformer. Also, it would help to know what the transformer came from in the first place.
Jack thanks for the reply. I tried taking a pic but it's to blurry. The trafo came from a sub amp and yes the 24v taps are connected to 317T and 337T regs, I understand that part. The 49.5 taps powered the mosfets. The size of trafo is 4 1/8" w x 2 3/4" h and it's heavy. All voltages I listed are before rectification. I was wondering if I could separate the 49.5 taps from the CT for 4 leads instead of 2 w/ ct but leave the 24-0-24 intact. What voltage would I get splitting them, or am I asking for trouble. The label reads
49.5 - 24 - 0 - 24 - 49.5
blue red white red blue

Thanks again
Dan
Old 7th March 2011, 06:17 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm not quite sure what you mean by `separating` the leads. I'm assuming that you mean that you want two individual 0 - 49.5 volt windings each with its own 0 volts lead. Unless you are keen on unwinding first of all the outer tape and possibly the copper windings themselves, I'd leave it alone. You can still have two individual 49.5V windings just by using the centre tap as 0V for both windings.
Old 7th March 2011, 11:56 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

That makes sense Jack. I obviously need to learn more, I was confused on how multi-tap transformers work but I understand now, I'll just leave it as is. Thank you.

Dan

Hide this!Advertise here!