Li-ion arrangement for CMoy-style headphone amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2011, 03:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Li-ion arrangement for CMoy-style headphone amp

I'm planning on making a little cmoy-style headphone amp and I'm going to power it with a couple lithium cells (possibly boost-converted up to a higher voltage, we'll see how it sounds).

Question is about how to arrange the batteries.

I have 2 individually protected cells, I know I can remove the protection circuits and put them in series with a 2-cell protector, and get a 2-cell charger. However, I'd prefer not to have to get the extra protector/charger, so I'm wondering about parallel setups, mainly:

a) Can I (safely) put two (or more?) individually protected li-ion cells in parallel and discharge them without any extra hardware? If not, what kind of setup would I need for this?

b) How would I charge them? Could I use a single cell charger like a max1555, or would I have to break the connection between the batteries and charge them separately?

I'm not worried about the voltage output of whatever arrangement I choose as I'll just boost/buck convert it to the voltage I actually need (since no matter how I arrange them I will probably boost them up anyways). The real concern here is to use the minimum extra battery hardware outside of the already-included protection circuits.

Edit:
Another side question, If connecting individually protected cells in series is it really necessary to remove the individual protection circuits (I'll be using a multi-cell protector)? It seems like if an individual cell shut itself off, the multi-cell protector would detect 0v (which would certainly be under-voltage) for that cell and either bypass it or shut down the pack (both of which would be fine if a cell was under or over voltage).

Thanks

Last edited by hospadar; 8th February 2011 at 03:30 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!