Snubbing or not - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2011, 05:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Snubbing or not

Im making a PSU PCB with onboard rectifiers.

Im a little unsure as to what I should do to improve it, not that I dont know about snubbers etc, but Im not sure they they make a real world difference.

Read the snubber pdf from hagerman and it looks like snubbing does work. However, does that carry over to real world differences? Sure, anyone can come in here and write that they hear a difference, but do they really hear a difference or do they THINK they hear one?
Are there any measurably diffrences on the output of an amplifier depending on whether the PSU is snubbed or not?
Attached Images
File Type: png Simple PSU PCB Rectifiers.png (32.7 KB, 415 views)
Old 1st February 2011, 06:30 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

The bits are cheap enough, so why don't you try it with and without, and make your own opinion?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 1st February 2011, 06:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well, trying isnt always the best option, many times you can fool yourself into hearing whatever you expect to hear.

Like with many other things, if you think it makes a difference you will most likely hear a difference and vice versa.

Last edited by Neutrality; 1st February 2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 1st February 2011, 07:00 PM   #4
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

I've been thinking about using snubbers for the rectifier in a PS. Are there any typical values for the cap-resistor combination? Or do I have to derive them each time based on data specific to my PS?
Old 2nd February 2011, 09:10 PM   #5
ferynov is offline ferynov  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ferynov
About PSU I have question about position of R L in six capacitor , if i wanna place RL in schematic above, where should i place? before C2,C4 or after C2,C4 ?
TS : May i post my picture here?

thanks for advice and comments....
Old 2nd February 2011, 09:29 PM   #6
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

I'm certain you won't hear a difference and I think you will have difficulty measuring one too. Snubbing the secondary side of the bridge can help reduce EMI, but you will only notice that with EMC test equipment.
Old 2nd February 2011, 09:29 PM   #7
AEIOU is offline AEIOU  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Send a message via AIM to AEIOU Send a message via MSN to AEIOU Send a message via Yahoo to AEIOU
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7 View Post
I've been thinking about using snubbers for the rectifier in a PS. Are there any typical values for the cap-resistor combination? Or do I have to derive them each time based on data specific to my PS?
What is standard? Are you aware that they actually have little packaged "snubbers" RC units, a resistor and capacitor together in one package? I have a few of them in my parts bin. .1uf+330 ohms and .22uf+330 ohms.

I was under the impression that if you used fast recovery diodes or Schottky diodes etc, that you wont really need snubbers, but what do I know.
Old 2nd February 2011, 09:34 PM   #8
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Snubbers should reduce hf noise from the rectification. I would use them even Witt shottky diodes.

Nice the single package ones. I'll get em next tine.
Old 2nd February 2011, 09:38 PM   #9
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

By standard I meant ballpark values. After reading the hageman article it seems like there is a need to measure circuit inductance and capacitance to optimize the design. This is why I asked if there are any standard values for maybe a pass amp PS.

Anyway, I'll ceck out the single package part. I was not aware that these things existed.
Old 2nd February 2011, 09:59 PM   #10
AEIOU is offline AEIOU  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Send a message via AIM to AEIOU Send a message via MSN to AEIOU Send a message via Yahoo to AEIOU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
Snubbers should reduce hf noise from the rectification. I would use them even WITH Shottky diodes.

Nice the single package ones. I'll get em next tine.
Where is the high frequency noise coming from? Not from the rectifiers if you are rectifying at AC line frequency, here in the U.S. it is 60Hz.
60Hz is not high frequency! If noise is getting in through the AC line, then maybe you should consider an AC line filter before the power supply.

Hide this!Advertise here!