is transformer with primary and secondary = isolation?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi guys

i am confuse about the term isolation transformer.

is transformer with primary winding and secondary winding is regarded as isolation transformer?

say normal audio transformer of 0v-15v on its secondary. is this consider as isolation transformer as well which is only output 15v instead of normal 110v or 220v?

or isolation transfomer is something else that not just primary and secondary winding

thanks
erwin

Hi,
for mains use, isolation transformers are tested to very high isolation voltages. I think 1500Vac for a few seconds.
I doubt an ordinary audio transformer would meet this safety standard. They normally only handle a few volts or at most a few tens of volts.

The output transformer of a valve/tube amplifier may be safety tested to a similar standard as a mains isolation transformer.

A further clarification....True isolation transformers have whats called a split bobbin. The bobbin is the plastic core onto which the primaries and secondaries are wound onto. The "standard" bobbin has both primaries AND secondaries wound on top of each other in an interleaving pattern. The isolating value being the 'tape' that separates each stack of windings. The split bobbin has a large ( 3 mm?) wall of plastic, a barrier that separates both windings. The split bobbin is less efficient but has superior isolating properties.

____________________________________________________Rick..........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.