Probably a simple question (SMPS)...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building 2 BPA-200 amplifiers. Well, I'm ordering parts at the moment. I purchased some switch mode power supplies from BG Micro after seeing a thread about them here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/75987-best-smps-gainclone.html

I hadn't thought about it at the time, being used to linear supplies, but then I remembered that not all SMPS play nicey-nice when you try to run them in parallel. I need the current, since I'll have 2xLM4780's in each enclosure. I looked at the manual from Cosel and they state that the power supplies can't be run in parallel (no supporting circuitry). They give an or-ing schematic with a couple of diodes, but that's no way to balance load... Even with resistors, I imagine the things would go nuts fighting each other (oscillation).

Now, here's my (probably) stupid question...

If I had four supplies, two banks of 2, each bank in series (yes, this part is fine with Cosel), if I connected the ground point of the two sets of series power supplies and had essentially a mono supply for each amplifier module, would the power supplies fight each other with the amplifier modules bridged? Would the LM4780's try to shed heat if the regulation between banks of supplies wasn't perfectly synched?

In the industrial world, our power supplies run in master/slave configurations. Without this, what does one do with SMPS? I'd hate to throw 8 of them in my parts box...

Hopefully this is clear as mud without resorting to sketching something.

Last edited:
Quick and dirty, not much detail. Before anyone asks, yes, there will be filter caps! Also, I should have drawn a speaker, but I didn't think about it. The modules will be bridged using a DRV-134 circuit (thanks Per-Anders!) so just imagine the ends of the triangles being attached to speaker leads!

Drawing1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.